Friday, April 6, 2012

Why I love head winds . . . sorta

Why, oh why do people insist on bringing donuts to work?  Donuts are my downfall.  I love donuts.  This morning I went into the break room and there were 2 boxes of donut holes.  I decided to eat one.  Then I decide to see what the serving size is and calories, so I check the box.  The serving size is 4 donut holes at 200 calories.  So my brain says, you can eat 2 . . . it's not a whole serving size.  Instead I grabbed my 1 and practically ran out of the room.  I think that's a small accomplishment. 
                                                                        

I weighed in today, and while I was not 170, I was 169.4.  Which is the exact same as last week.  However, I was reminded earlier today by something that I read that I didn't start this running thing to lose weight, but to be healthier and because I like to run.  I want to eat what I like and I'm not crazy about changing it all.  I have made some changes and am willing to make a few more, but not so much that I dislike all that I eat, or eat "boring."  So I am going to keep weighing in, but I'm not going to stress about the numbers on the scale.  (harder than it sounds)  If I lose weight Yay! if not, then maybe I'll think about getting more serious.

I do notice changes in the way my clothes fit.  They are not so tight.  A pair of pants I used to love, but rubbed me wrong in the inner thigh, I can now wear without getting irritated at the rubbing (I don't even notice it).  Chris told me yesterday that I look skinnier (always nice).  These are positive changes that I enjoy, that have nothing to do with the scale. 

I didn't start this blog with the intention of making it all about losing weight, or running.  However, I have limited amount of space to store stuff I think about in my head, and right now my weight and running has consumed all of that limited space.  So for now I've been blogging about that.  I plan to continue to run, so we'll see where it goes.  :-)
                                                                       
Aren't they beautiful?
I bought new shoes.  :-)  I'm super excited.  I also bought some special socks. And I picked up my packet for the race tomorrow that I'm walking.  Of course, as soon as I got home I had to try out my new shoes.  It was a sunny, warm(ish) day and I was excited for my run.  However, as I started, I realized there was a wind. *sigh* So the whole way I was thinking of why I love head winds and here are my reasons. 

1.  Head winds cool you down when you are running.
2.  Head winds push you forward.
2. Head winds become tail winds . . . uh, head winds?? . . . when you turn around.
2.  Head winds cool you down when you are running.

Yeah, so I didn't have any reasons why I love head winds. 

I had a hard, hard run.  I wasn't really into it, and I usually am with sunny days, not to mention my new shoes.  I couldn't figure out why I was huffing and puffing before I even finished my first mile.  I figured it had a lot to do with the wind and I took yesterday as a rest day.  But even when I turned around (there were definitely times I felt the "tail wind" was still a head wind) I was still dying.  Most of the third mile is downhill and it still felt hard.  I didn't know why.  I got home and was so upset because it wasn't a fabulous, easy run.  I looked at my phone (Map my Fitness app) and I cut 2 min off my usual time.  I ran my normal 3 miles at 31.28 min. and I normally do around 33.30 min
Wednesday

Today
Isn't interesting that those two runs are the exact same route, but one says 3.08 miles and the other says 3.11 miles?  It's a GPS tracker on my phone.

                                                                    

So this morning I was sitting in my car listening to a song just before I went into my office.  A kid young adult knocked on my window and asked if I could help him get some breakfast at the store.  I work in social services, I love my job.  I chose, when I was about 14, that I was going to help people for a living.  I also believe that God calls us to be compassionate and love everyone.  I looked at this kid, and made a snap judgement.  And I said no, I couldn't help him (I got paid today).  I was sitting in my car listening to a Christian song, thinking how I need to be a better follower of Christ, and then the opportunity falls into my lap and I said no.  Immediately I felt guilty and felt that I needed to help this person, I got out of my car and looked for him.  The street I work on is straight, the streets around where I work are straight, I only sat for a min in my car before getting out and this kid disappeared.  I have no explanation for where he went, but the Bible verse "‘For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ " Matthew 25:42-43 (I did have to look up where this Bible verse was, I didn't know it off the top of my head) echoed in my mind.  I wondered if God had sent this kid to "test" me.  If He did, I failed.  I pray that this kid found some breakfast, even if it didn't come from me.




No comments:

Post a Comment