Monday, April 23, 2012

Pretend runner

Today I had a very short window in which I could go for a run.  This short window included taking Maddox in the jogging stroller.  If you ever see someone running pushing a jogging stroller and they are making it look effortless, they are deceiving you.  Pushing a jogging stroller while running is hard, hard work.  I had a hard time throughout the entire run.  I was out of breath at the very beginning and never really got it back.  I ended up only doing a little over 2.5 miles, but it killed me. 

The last few days, my running has not been that exciting.  Saturday my run was supposed to be a fun, get out there and run for a long way and it turned out to be way shorter than I thought wanted, Sunday I'm just lucky I got out and did the short run I did, and today the jogging stroller kicked my butt.  I think I just need a day where I go run and enjoy it.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll have the time to do that.

I am still weighing myself daily.  And I have to admit, I am getting a little excited.  Saturday my weight said 166 (remember my "official" weight on Friday was 168.8).  Then yesterday after my run, I was down to 162.2.  I'm sure that it won't be nearly that low on Friday, but it sure was nice to see it.  It started me thinking of seeing 15-.  I didn't weigh myself for years, so I honestly have no idea when I was under 160.  I can say that I've been around 170, plus or minus several pounds, for at least 4 years.

I wonder when I will start feeling like a genuine runner and not a pretend runner.  I went to the running store when we were at the street fair on Saturday and I just feel silly going into it.  I definitely felt like an imposter in there.  I was talking to a coworker about it today, and mentioned that I run 3 miles daily (other than the last couple of days) but I feel like a pretend runner.  She said that running 3 miles everyday is not a pretend runner.  Maybe someday I'll feel like I belong to the elite club of running.

Babies are very funny in the grass.  Yesterday I put Maddox down in his (very cute) shorts in the grass and he made the funniest face.  He wouldn't put one foot down.  Damian put him on his stomach and he got so mad.  I really didn't pay this much attention to these types of things with Damian, so I really enjoy watching Maddox at his age. 

2 comments:

  1. Don't feel bad about the short run today! I read somewhere that you burn 20% more calories when pushing the stroller. So, even though you didn't rack up as much distance, you probably burned more calories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is very good to know. I know I feel like I ran a much farther run than I actually did. I hurt all over, and I haven't hurt like that since the first several weeks of running regularly.

    ReplyDelete