Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A short, fast run

It is amazing what your brain tells you and how that affects your run/workout/whatever.  Today I decided to do a short run (I know 3 miles isn't that long, but I'm just a beginner, remember) so I did my old 2-mile run.  I guess old run = old thoughts.  This is the run I did when I couldn't run a mile.  So the whole time I'm running, I'm thinking of where my stop point is.  You know how it is, I'll just run to that tuft of grass, or that driveway, or that road, and then I'll walk for a bit.  I found myself seeing those spots where I would always stop to walk and my brain would say "okay, time to walk."  It just made the run very hard, and very tiring. 

I was trying to increase my time. I was hoping to get a 10min mile, so I thought maybe that had a lot to do with it.  But then even when I slowed down, I still felt overly tired.  I looked at my app on my phone when I got home and once again, realized that the reason I was so winded was because I was running fast.  I need to learn to listen to my body and realize that I'm running fast.


I was stretching in my backyard after my run today and noticed it was getting foggy.  I thought that was strange because it's raining.  Then I realized it wasn't fog, it was steam rising from my body. It was pretty cool to look at.  I tried to get a picture of it, but of course you can't see it. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cathy. I found your blog via Katie at Runsforcookies. I hope it's okay that I follow you. When reading your recent updates, I feel like I am writing them! Feel free to check out my blog at Petrosians.blogspot.com

    I'm a "new" runner, too. I used to run and was an athlete in high school, but college life got in the way of that, lol. An addition of 50 lbs later and here I a!

    ReplyDelete