Monday, February 4, 2013

I killed 7 miles . . .and FMM

I didn't hear anything for a couple days from April, my workout buddy, at the end of last week. During her absence I found myself less motivated to do the extras. . . kettle bell, sit ups, etc. I planned on running Friday but almost talked myself out of the extras.  I ended up doing the kettle bell afterall.

On Saturday I was planning on doing 7 miles, which was going to be my longest run to date.  I was waffling about doing it though, and was thinking of just doing my normal 4 or 5 instead.  Then I got a message from April.  She said she didn't do anything on Wednesday and Thursday, but got started again on Friday.  I told her about my 7 mile plan and then that I was thinking of not doing it.  She really talked me into it.  She said she would do 4 miles if I did my 7.  So I got off my butt and ran 7 miles.

Look at that time!  (I can't believe how consistent most of my miles were.  Mile 5 was along the river, the same spot I had difficulty last week, again flat, no wind, so I don't know why it was so slow.  And mile 7, well, that was my last mile and the beginning of it was really steep uphill.)  =)  I seriously made an effort to slow down, but I really had a hard time with it.  I had downloaded another running app a long time ago. Runkeeper, but had never used it.  I really like my mapmyfitness app, so I have used that.  Well, I was looking at the Runkeeper before my run and noticed it has audio cues as to pace/time/mileage etc. so I decided to try it out.  I really liked it for my long run.  It would tell me every 5 min how far I'd gone, how fast I was going, my average speed and how long I had been running.  I tried to slow down whenever it would tell me I was going faster than 10 min/mile, but it obviously wasn't very affective in getting me to slow my average pace down.  However, I felt great the last mile.  I didn't feel tired or anything, so I'm okay that I went faster than my goal. 

At the beginning of the run I went down my old trail, the one I started running on.  I talked about the horrible hill on that trail here and here and here and then the first time I ran up it here . . . I talked a lot about that stupid hill last spring.  =)  Anyway, since I've been running longer distances, I've found new routes and haven't run that trail in a really long time.  I didn't even worry about the hill, and then it crossed my mind right after I started.  I wondered how I would feel going up it.  I don't think I even slowed down going up.  I didn't die at the top and didn't even have to rest.  I remember the first time I ran up that entire hill, I was so dead, I had to stop and catch my breath for a min before continuing on.  I can now say, I have conquered that stupid hill.  =)  Now I need to conquer the mile long hill that I did my first two 4 mile runs on. 

I was so happy I ran.  It was a beautiful day here, sunny, no wind, no clouds.  Temperature was right around 45*, which was perfect.  I felt great.  I thought it was an easier run than my 6 miles the week before.  I loved the feeling I had the rest of the day.  My legs were a little sore, but not too bad.  I took a nice bath in the evening. 

Yesterday I did 4 miles before the Superbowl. And then pigged out on pizza and margaritas.  =) 

Maddox has been sick since Thursday evening.  Thursday night he fell asleep last at 7 and then woke up at 1am and then went back to sleep, but only if he could lay on me. Friday morning he woke up with a temperature so I stayed home with him, then Saturday he acted much better, his temperature was down and he was playing.  However, Sunday his temperature went back up.  He barely ate anything all weekend.  Last night it seems like his temperature went away, but he woke up at midnight and wouldn't go back to sleep.  Chris stayed up with him until 3am and then handed him off to me, and he was awake with me until 5am.  =(  Today is going to be a very, very long day. 

Our "roommate" Heather is watching him this morning so that our babysitter's son isn't around him and getting sick.  She said that he feels normal, not warm today and he's enjoying his oatmeal, so he might be feeling better.  I am worried about an ear infection or something, so I'm going to take him to the dr today anyway.  However, we aren't able to get in until 6 this evening.  =(

friend-makin-monday-for-post3-300x179
If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: All the Weigh so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

Five Things


1. Share five things you hope to do before you die. 
- go to Italy
- Go on a cruise (preferably to a very warm area)
- watch my kids get married
- watch my kids have kids
- own my dream house

2. List five things you love about yourself.
- My smile
- My hair (especially when it's straightened)
- My legs (which are really awesome now that I run)
- the color of my eyes
- the fact that I was able to save enough money in a year to take my family to Disneyland.

3. Share the five coolest things that you’ve done in 2013.
- ran 7 miles
I don't have anything else . . . in a month I can add go to Disneyland.  Wednesday I'm going to Cirque du Soleil . . . Give me a break, it's only the 4 of February and I don't normally do a ton anyway.  =)

4. List five things that you always have in your kitchen.
- popcorn
- flour, sugar, spices, etc.
- coffee and coffee pot
- water
- chicken

5. Share five places you would like to go on vacation.
- Italy
- Hawaii
- The Caribbean
- Paris
- New York
And everywhere in between.

6. List five celebrities/public figures you’d like to meet.
- Julia Roberts
- Mother Theresa (I know she's dead)
I don't have anyone else.  Really, I don't care to meet anyone famous and will probably live my whole life not meeting anyone.  I'm okay with that.  Some of the most amazing people are unknown.

7. List five bands or artists you’d like to see perform live.
- Zac Brown Band
- Rascal Flats
- Johnny Cash (I know . . . dead)
Again, I've got nothing . . .

8. List five TV shows that you don’t want to miss. 
- Walking Dead!!
- Survivor
- All Real Housewives of . . . shows (don't judge)
- Amazing Race
- True Blood

9. Share five things you wanted to do as a child. 
- Be a teacher (very short lived dream)
- become a foster parent (still planning on it)
- Get married at 21, have a kids at 23 (it worked for my Mom, I wanted to be just like her, I was close, but wish I had waited now)
- go to college at Northwest Nazarene College (now University . . . did it)
- Live on the Oregon coast 

10.  Share five things you hope to do in 2013.
- run a half marathon
- go to my class's (almost) 20th reunion (it's actually only 18, but we're talking about doing it anyway)
- Bloomsday with my sister (we're going to walk this year)
- start saving for either a cruise or Hawaii in 2015
- get pregnant (however, Chris isn't completely on board with that one, so we'll have to wait and see.)

Now it’s your turn to answer this week’s questions! Don’t forget to come back and link up in the comments!  Happy Monday, friends!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Do you have a back post talking about how you started running? I'd be interested to read back posts of the journey to doing 7 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post. I'm just starting to run. Thank you for posting this to show me how it can be. :-)

    By the way....can't wait until Walking Dead returns on Sunday!!!!!

    ReplyDelete