Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Milestones

A year ago today I decided to start running regularly.  I was running before I got pregnant but stopped in my first trimester because I was sooooo tired all the time.  But I wasn't very serious about it.  I was running at work on my lunch break and I was going 2 miles.  I didn't run the whole time, and I didn't push myself to work up to running the whole time, well at least not very hard. 

I started running to a park and around it and home, that equaled 2 miles.  I don't think that I ran far, I would run until I thought I couldn't run any farther and then walk and then run more. 

Then I found Pinterest.  I found the motivational quotes and pictures there, very motivational . . . and I found Runs for Cookies, which really motivated me.  (And eventually motivated me to start this blog.) 

I didn't know about the C25K program when I started running.  I just knew that I wanted to run, so I would run as far as I thought I could and then I would walk a while, then start running again.  I really think if I hadn't started reading all the blogs about running, then I probably would not have taken it very seriously again. 

When I was in grade school, my PE teacher had us run around the playground and I loved that I was faster than all the boys in my class.  At the end of the year, the 6th graders always ran to the cemetery from the grade school and back.  The cemetery was about a mile away up a very, very steep hill. 

When I was in 6th grade my PE teacher, who was also the 6th grade teacher, started training us for that run.  We would run all around town, and I was determined to stay right up front with my teacher. My mom told me later that at her parent/teacher conference he told her that he was determined not to let a little girl beat him.  =)  Anyway, he taught me good form and good breathing. 

That year was also my (very, very small) town's centennial and they had a fun run.  My teacher convinced me to join the run.  I got a trophy, I was the first person in my age to cross the finish line.  My teacher then convince me to join a fun run in a town nearby.  I was the 2nd female to cross the line, they only gave medals to the first place, and they didn't separate by age. 
source
After that I pretty much quit running, even though I LOVED it.  My town was so small they didn't have a track team.  So the only time I was able to run was in basketball.  The running drills were my absolute favorite part of basketball.  Everyone else would groan when he had to do lines, I was excited.  We also did these "pyramid" drills, where you ran to the end of the court and back and then another group would do it, and then you would run to the end and back two times, and then the next group, it just kept building on each time.  I think we went to 10.  Those were my favorites, everyone else hated them. 

When I graduated high school I quit all sports.  (Since I lived in such a small town I was able to do volleyball, basketball, tennis and cheerlead.)  I went to college and gained the "freshman 15" which looked a lot more like 25 lbs.  I completely quit running . . . full stop.

Fast forward 13 years, and another 20lbs, and I started running again during my lunch break.  Then I got pregnant and stopped again.  I don't know what happened but one year ago today something clicked and I started running again.  Over the summer I hurt my calf and stopped running again.  The difference this time was that I continued moving.  I started walking to work every day, and I kept reading my blogs, which kept me very motivated. 

At the beginning of this year I decided I wanted to increase my distance, I don't want to get stagnant, so I started running 5 miles, then 6, then 7.

Sunday I ran 12K (which is 7.45 miles).  It was a good run.  Next week (I can't this week) I think I might aim for 8.  It's scary, I worry about it, but I'm also excited.  I look at my speed, and I can't believe I'm running a 9 min/mile for 7.5 miles.  I think I should be doing a 10 min/mile but I run my  comfortable speed, and I'm completely okay with running faster.  I'm not dying, 7.45 miles felt good, not hard. =)

So . . . why do I run?  I've been asked this question before.  Shin splints are awesome. I love to run.  I feel alive after I'm done.  The pain of stretching afterwards is a good pain.  I have lost weight, maybe not as much as I'd like, but I see a difference.  I can run farther and faster.  I am being a good example to my kids. 

Two more things, and then I'm done, I promise.  =)

Not only is today my "runiversary" but this post is also #200.  =)

And . . . drum roll please . . . in 14 hours, I will be boarding a plane to sunny California.  Yes, the day is almost here.  We are packed and ready to go, we just have to wake up (at freaking 4am) and get ready and leave.  =) 
 Compared to . . .
=)

I don't know if I will have wifi in the hotel.  I'm not taking my computer, so I would have to use my Kindle Fire.  I will try to post something, even if it's just pictures. 

Thank you so much for reading my blog for 200 posts.

1 comment: