Tomorrow is Thanksgiving! I'm looking forward to it. I really enjoy family time, even if it is with friends that feel like family and not my actual family. I love my family, my parents and my sisters and their families, so I really do miss them when I can't see them at Thanksgiving, but since moving to western WA I have not been to my parents' house more than once. Once was PLENTY! The traffic over the mountains to get to my parents' house is HORRID! And that is putting it nicely. So, I see them at Christmas time and we are happy with that. =)
However, last year, for the first time, Chris's dad's family invited us to spend Thanksgiving at his house, and that is in eastern WA too. So I think we are now going over the mountains at the busiest travel time of the year to see his family every other year.
Chris was not close to his dad's family at all. He was raised mostly by his mom until he was about 8, when she pretty much abandoned him, and then by his maternal grandparents. I met him when he moved to his dad's house at age 15, and they did not have a good relationship at all. His step-mom wasn't the nicest person to him, and his half-brother and sister (who is handicapped) were treated favorably compared to him. Anyway, his maternal grandparents have both died, his grandpa died about 10 years ago and his grandma only 3 years ago, and they were more like his parents than his actual parents were. They were the glue that held his maternal family together, so when his grandma died, the rest of the family have kinda forgot Chris. =/ I get very, very mad at his Mom very, very often. She only lives 45 min away from us, but never comes to visit and never invites us to her house. If my Mom lived that close I wouldn't be able to get her away from me and my family. =)
Anyway, since Chris's dad divorced his step-mom, his dad has become a much more mellow person. He is much more likable now and I actually don't mind spending time with him. I really, REALLY like his extended paternal family (much more than his maternal side) but Chris was never part of that family, so I think he is a little out of place there. He has always longed for a close family, and since we have known each other since we were 15, he has adopted my family and gets that closeness from them. I think his paternal family is the type of family that he longs for, but he just wasn't part of it growing up. It is all very sad to me.
Wow, that was a tangent. =)
I did not go for a run yesterday. It was windy and rainy again, so I went to my normal zumba class. I went on Monday as well, and 2 days of zumba in a row has really made my shoulders sore. I also feel my sides and arms a bit today. =) When I go to zumba I try really hard to be conscious of my muscles and I tighten my abs and try to do "strong arms" when it's called for. I need to be better at tightening my butt muscles, especially during the squats, but I don't always think of it. =)
I don't know if I will get a run in today. We need to do our weekly grocery shopping, which I'm not looking forward to. We did all our Thanksgiving shopping last week and missed the crowds, but we still need to do our weekly shopping, so I know we're going to hit some horrible crowds. *sigh* I really hate shopping during the holiday season. =(
I missed Friend Makin' Monday on Monday and then didn't get back on last night to post it, so here it is today. Sorry it's a little late. =)
If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: All the Weigh so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!
1. Do you have any Thanksgiving traditions? If so, please share them. Not really, however, I think we are now going to be going to Chris's dad's every other year. Now we just do a dinner with friends that don't have family.
2. List at least three dishes that are on your family’s table every year. Turkey (of course), stuffing, mashed potatoes. We've started making a cheese ball (yum!!) and I started making pies last year, so we have pecan pie, apple and pumpkin (yumm!!!)
3. Do you prefer pumpkin pie or pecan pie? I think I like pecan better, but pumpkin is a necessity at Thanksgiving, with cool whip of course!
4. Will you watch football on Thanksgiving Day? Chris probably will insist on it. I'm a Seahawks fan and don't watch a ton of other teams, although I do like Baltimore . . . but I don't know if they play.
5. Do you plan to exercise Thursday? I'm thinking about it. I guess it depends on who is at my house and how I feel. I like to go for walks after I eat large meals, so I probably will at least do that. =)
6. Do you prefer ham or turkey? I like ham better, but turkey is a necessity for Thanksgiving. I only really eat it 2 times a year, Thanksgiving and Christmas. (I like deli turkey sandwiches throughout the year.)
7. Will you shop on Black Friday? If so, where will you go first? Absolutely not! I actually am really disgusted with Black Friday. I think it's ridiculous and I've heard so much about the "sales" that aren't really sales. I have heard that stores start increasing their prices in October so that by the time Black Friday comes, the prices are pretty close to what they were in Sept. I think it used to be good deals, but not anymore.
8. Do you take a nap on Thanksgiving? I don't really like naps, so I don't know if I will or not.
9. Share one dish that probably won’t be on anyone else’s table. Anyone's table?? I have no idea. But on my table . . . cranberry sauce, it's disgusting. =)
10. What are you thankful for today? I’m so thankful for everything. I have such a fabulous family, great friends, and a pretty great life, there is nothing in my life I'm not thankful for. =)
Now it’s your turn to post the questions on your blog! Don’t forget to come back and link up in the comments!