Monday, March 25, 2013

Plans, long runs, wrestling and FMM

I'm sorry in advance for the long post.  If you're visiting from FMM, please feel free to just scroll to the bottom.  =)

Does getting comments on your blog posts ever get old??  I love seeing emails saying I have a comment.  I only have 12 followers, but I wonder if the people with hundreds still get excited about all their comments? 

Anyway, MaryFran asked me what I ended up doing for my long run this weekend.  I forget to go back to blogs where I've commented to see if the person replied to me, so I thought I would answer on here instead.  I was going to talk about it anyway.  =) 

Soooo . . . remember Thursday when I talked about planning?  Ha!  I suck at it.  =)  I planned to do 6 miles Thursday evening, I did 5.  I planned to do a long run on Friday, I only did 6.22.  I planned to run Saturday, I didn't at all.  The only thing that I planned to do that I actually did was eat a salad Thursday night for dinner. =)
The thing about plans though is that I look at my plans as flexible.  Even though pretty much none of my running plans actually happened Thursday-Saturday, I was okay with it all.  In fact, on Sunday I decided I would just do my long run then.  I don't like doing my long runs on Sunday because "technically" it's the next week, and I need want to do a long run this Saturday so "technically" that's 2 long runs in one week.  Anyway, I thought that I would go 7 miles (kinda ease my way back into my long runs since it's been so long).  I went out on what I thought was my earlier 7 mile run, but I got to about a mile and a half from home and noticed I was only a little over 5 miles into my run.  I started thinking about where I could go to add a half mile.  I was on a trail that I don't run on very often anymore, but used to run it all the time.  The half way mark for this particular trail is the road I live on, so when I do run it nowadays I turn up the hill on my road and go home.  I haven't run the second half of that trail in months. 

I felt great, I didn't feel tired at all.  My hip didn't hurt at all (which is unusual for me right now, I almost have at least a little twinge while I'm running), I didn't feel winded or anything.  I felt great.  So I decided I would go to the end of the trail, which is a full mile.  I thought, I could do 8 miles today. 

So, even though I planned to go 7 miles Sunday, I actually did 8.12 miles.  I felt awesome!!  After my run I felt great, which continued through the rest of the evening.  I can't describe that feeling of accomplishment and awesomeness.  =)  I was worried I would be sore today, but I'm not bad.  I have a little stiffness in my legs, but nothing bad.  And my hip hasn't bothered me at all.  =)

I realize this is Friend Makin' Monday, but I also wanted to update on my weekend, so I will try to keep the rest of the post short so I can answer this week's questions.  =)

Damian had a district wrestling tournament on Saturday.  I was there from 9am to 3pm, which made for a long day.  Last year I went to the same tournament by myself, with a 6 month old baby.  And it was horrible!!  This year I got my babysitter to watch Maddox and my mom came with me so it was much, much better.  D got first place for his weight class.  He did really, really awesome. =)
Damian's in that mess waiting for the championship match.
D and a good friend with their 1st place
medals.  They both got 1st place in
their weight class.
 While I was at D's wrestling tourney my babysitter took Maddox and her son (who is only 3 months older than Maddox) for a walk.  She said they were super cute because they held hands the whole time.

Saturday night we went to see 7 Brides for 7 Brothers at the local theater here in Mt. Vernon.  It was really, really awesome.  My sister came up and we went with my Mom, we laughed so hard.  I love the movie, probably one of my all-time favorites, but didn't realize it was so funny.  It was really, really good. 


Anyway, I could talk more about my weekend, but then I would never get to FMM.  So I guess I will save it for another day.  =) 

--I just realized yesterday was the anniversary of my blog.  Happy anniversary to me.  =)

wpid-friend-makin-monday-for-post3-300x179.jpg
If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this week’s question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: All the Weigh so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!
 Ten Questions
1. Describe the kind of home you would live in if money were no object.  I would live in an older farm house on the outskirts of a smallish town.  I don't want it to be huge, but large, it would HAVE to have a front porch, preferably a wrap around one and maybe even a balcony or something off my bedroom.  A nice sunny, fenced backyard, with lots of flowers.  And of course it would be 2 stories. 

2. Are you more conservative in your actions or more rebellious? I think I'm more conservative.  I like people to think well of me, so I don't do things that I think I'll get judged for.  I think this is a flaw of mine, I wish I wasn't so concerned about what others think.

3. Would you go to Mars even if it meant you could never return to Earth?  nope, I love my family and friends and couldn't leave that. 

4. Name one song that makes you want to dance every time you hear it. I can't think of any right now. . . oh, I love California Girls by Katy Perry.  There are others, but I can't think of them right now. 

5. Share one thing that you wish you could go back and do differently in your life.  I've answered this type of question before, and I like the answer I gave a few weeks ago, so I'm just going to copy and paste it here.  =)  There was a time in my life where I would have said I would go back.  In fact, you know all those surveys that were so popular via email several years ago (before Facebook), they always asked what super power you wanted, and I always said time travel.  Looking at my life now, I would have to say, no, I would not want to go back and change anything.  There are definitely things I regret and wish I had done differently, however, I love my life now.  I love where I am.  And if I changed anything, any decision, any action, anything, I would not be where I am now.  Of course, I may be happy in this fictional other life, but knowing that I turned out okay, that is enough for me.  I am happy, happier than I think I ever have been.

6. Share at least one accomplishment that people wouldn’t expect you to be proud of.  My proud moments are not anything that people wouldn't expect me to be proud of.  Maybe that I finally learned to save the money needed for me and my family to travel.  I used to think about it, but never do it.  I'm so excited that we have actual vacations that we're going somewhere for planned and that I know that I can go because I'm making the right choices in saving for them.

7. Describe one delicious thing that you’ve eaten lately.  My salad from the other day (see picture above) was really good, maybe because I hadn't had one for awhile.  =) 

8. If you had a theme song that would play every time you entered a room, which song would you choose?  I love the song "Where I belong" by Building 429.  It's a Christian song.  Here is the lyrics to the chorus.
All I know is I'm not home yet
This is not where I belong
Take this world and give me Jesus
This is not where I belong

9. Had technology enhanced your life, or has it over complicated your life?  I think it's enhanced my life.  However, I sometimes get sad for the younger generations where they are so immersed in social media and cell phones.  They don't really know what's it's like to be unreachable and just live in the moment and play. 

10. If you could get paid to do any job, which job would you choose?  Stay at home with my kids.

Now it’s your turn to answer this week’s questions!  Don’t forget to come back and link up in the comments.  

6 comments:

  1. Your dream home sounds exactly the same as mine! In fact, I've picked out several candidates in the Mt. Vernon/La Conner/Anacortes area over the years. :) Although I do like my house a lot, and maybe I would just use that no-object money to fix some stuff, do some remodeling, and of course, hire a housekeeper and gardener!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya, stopping by from FMM. I love your answer to number 5. Yours is the 2nd one I've seen like that and I only wish I could stop dwelling on the shoulda, woulda, coulda's! It would make life so much better!

    I can also relate to your running mishaps! I've been stuck at home with a sinus infection for a week and haven't been able to run at all :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have something in common for our dream houses, though I don't do 2 story homes. Just never liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand not wanting to change anything. If you change something little, it oculd change everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think for me plans are just a guideline. I think you did fabulous, maybe not exactly what you had 'planned' but your plans kept you in line, even if it was a day or so later or a mile or so shorter. :-)

    And your long run sounds like it was awesome! I love when I work out and everything just feels RIGHT. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That salad and glass of wine looks delicious. I think it sounds like you're meeting your overarching goals without planning getting in the way of living. Good for you!

    Anyway, stopping by for a belated FMM. I posted my answers, too: http://delightfullyshrinking.com/2013/03/friend-makin-monday-ten-questions/

    ReplyDelete