Thursday, April 18, 2013

Some thoughts

My initial reaction to the Boston Marathon bombs was to think about the runners that didn't finish.  I thought a lot about those people.  I talked about it yesterday so you can read it here if you haven't already.

After a few days of thinking about it and reading about stories of runners on the course before and after the bombs, I have more thoughts about the spectators that were actually hurt by them.  The Boring Runner, Adam, posted here about his experience running the marathon and his thoughts on the bombs.  For the first time I stopped and thought about the spectators that got hurt.  I realized that if I had been running it could have been my family, my loved ones.  I realized this on Monday too, but I was so focused on the thought of the poor runners who worked so hard to get there and then didn't finish that I didn't think much of the rest of the people. 

Then today I read simply healthy mama's post and realized that I kinda feel the same way she does.  I've been hesitant to call myself a runner.  I love to run.  I run for more than just exercise, I run for sanity and desire.  She said it best.  "Somehow, the tragic events of Boston made me a runner. I'll never run the Boston Marathon. Heck, I'll never even qualify for the Boston Marathon. But nevertheless, on Monday I was one of them. I knew the sacrifices that many of those runners had made to be there."

And finally, this is probably my favorite picture that has popped up from the bombing.


So I haven't been running now in two days.  Tuesday I had some major shopping to do and skipped both running and zumba and yesterday D had a baseball game and I just can't fit a run in after work.  So today . . . today I run.  =)  I'd like to run farther than 4 miles, 6 sounds good, but I don't think I have the time.  I guess we'll see when I get home and actually leave the house.  =)

I feel like I have this time warp in the middle of my week.  Tuesday I do zumba and now, because of D's games, Wednesday is a rest day.  So if I do zumba on Tuesday that means 2 days in a row of not running.  I really hate it.  The other day I can do zumba is on Thursday and that still means 2 days in a row of not running.  So either I give up zumba (which I don't want to do) or just suffer through my 2 days.  I guess on Wednesday I could wake up early and do a run, but as TRX has shown me (once again) I am horrible about getting myself up on time to do any type of exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment