Friday, April 19, 2013

Intervals

We have had many problems with our babysitter in the year and a half that she has been watching Maddox.  She is young (she just turned 21 in March) and she hasn't really ever had a job.  It has been nice because she comes to our house and she has a son that is only a few months older than Maddox, however, she regularly calls in sick (for a while she was calling in every other week) and there have been at least 2 times where she no showed/no called.  We put up with it because she was cheap and we really didn't know who else to ask.  Chris works 4/10s and his days off are Tues-Thurs.  I work M-F, so we only need someone to watch him Monday and Friday morning (I get off work at 1pm on Friday).

Anyway, April 1st our babysitter no showed.  Thankfully it was spring break and Damian was home so I didn't miss any work. However, I had a conversation with my supervisor that day for my yearly review and she mentioned how often I call in sick because of my babysitter and that it's not a problem right now, but it could become a problem, which I completely agreed with.  So Chris and I decided we wanted more reliable childcare.  It took us a few weeks, but we found an in-home daycare that we both liked.  Maddox went there for a couple hours on Wednesday for a trial run and did well.  So today was his first day there.  I don't even think he noticed I was leaving.  He was too busy throwing (soft) blocks at the dog and laughing.  I think he'll do fine.  =)

Yesterday I NEEDED to run.  It had been 2 days, but as is the norm here in western WA, it was raining.  I am tired of the rain.  I am ready for sunny weather.  We didn't get any snow this year, we just had a long fall that went right into spring (it did get really cold a couple times though).  Anyway, I decided I wasn't going to run in the rain again so I got on my treadmill.  Besides I figured it's not good for a treadmill to sit for a long time without being used.  =) 

I decided to push myself a little and see what I could do.  I ended up doing intervals, which is the first time I've ever done them.  It was pleasantly hard.  After warming up I ran at a 7mph pace for my comfortable pace (I couldn't believe that was comfortable for me) for a min and then ran at 8.5mph for my hard pace for a min and a half.  After my second or third 8.5 interval I decided to start pushing myself, so I upped it 0.1 each time.  I was going to do that for 30 min.  During my last 9mph interval I bumped it up to a 10 for the last 30 sec to see if I could do it, and I did!  When I got to 30 min I was still under 3 miles, so I decided to keep running at my comfortable pace until I got to 5 miles.  I ended up doing 5 miles in just under 40 min which equaled out to a 8 min/mile average.  Like I said, it was pleasantly hard.  I got done and felt like I had worked out and I love that feeling.  =)

I don't think I've mentioned it, but Chris and I are going to start the Insanity workout.  Chris told me a while ago that he is really uncomfortable working out in public, so I suggested Insanity or P90X.  He waffled for a while on which one to get.  He likes the P90X for the weights, but he was reading that Insanity is better for losing weight and that's what he needs first.  Anyway, after changing his mind 4 or 5 times we decided on the Insanity.  I'm looking forward to it.  I'm looking forward to seeing what my body will look like after I've done it.  I'm also terrified of it.  I've heard that it's super hard.  I'll guess we'll see after we get the discs.  =)

Have a great weekend.  =)

1 comment:

  1. Intervals kick my butt! :-)

    Yay to finding daycare for Maddox that you AND he are happy with!

    ReplyDelete