Tuesday, April 23, 2013

11 miles-crazy or not?

 I've talked before about my son's learning disorder (here), and since he doesn't read well, but loves books we have really encouraged him to listen to audiobooks.  He loves them, in fact when I started getting them from the library (the first one was the first Harry Potter) he said it was like a movie playing in his head.  =)  This way he can "read" books that are geared toward his age level.  I even got an Audible acct so that we could get a book that he needed to read for school and we couldn't find it anywhere else.

The first book I got for D on Audible was Z for Zachariah, and he said it was really, really good, so I decided to listen to it.  He was right, it was a good book.  =)  I have started listeing to the books I get for D.  He likes survivor, end of the world type books (Hunger Games type of books) and I have developed a taste for them.   Anyway, I really enjoy listening to audiobooks while I run.  I like it more than music, although I think the music pushes me harder (the beat) but since I have been doing long runs, I find that the "slowness" of an audiobook helps me out.  Right now I am "reading" The Host by Stephenie Meyer.  I tried reading this in the "traditional" form (you know, an actual book) but I couldn't get into it, I thought it was really slow and very confusing.  A coworker has told me several times how much she likes the book, so I decided to get it on Audible and listen to it while I run.  (The book is 22 1/2 hours long.) 

All of that was just to say how much I want to be listening to my book right now.  =)  My coworker was right, I don't want to put it down.  It is so good.  I have been allowing the boys in my family to play more xbox so that I can just plug in my headphones and listen to the book instead of watching TV.  I even find myself groaning when Chris asks me what I want to watch.  =)

This last Sunday I ran 11 miles.  It was hard.  I was feeling sluggish at about mile 6, which is 2 miles sooner than I have before.  I ate a couple energy gummies (I can't remember the name of them, they are good) and then I ate a couple more at mile 8.  I have started adding the miles at the beginning of my run, rather than the end.  I know once I get closer to home I will feel like just calling it a day and going home, rather than adding another mile or two.  I have been trying to make it so I end at about the same spot each time, with about a half a mile walk home to cool down.  Sunday I was extremely glad I added the extra mile at the beginning.  I think if I had to add it at the end I wouldn't have gotten 11 miles in.  I was tired, I was dead.  I hit 11 miles and stopped dead in my tracks, I didn't want to go a step farther.  I even asked Chris to come get me instead of walking home.  I did have about a quarter of a mile walk to where I asked him to come get me, so I did cool down some. 

When I got home I had to use the bathroom pretty bad so I skipped stretching and just got in the shower after using the bathroom.  I was in the shower and I hurt.  I started thinking about why I run, and in that moment I didn't know why I run.  I was tired, I was hurting and I just thought that maybe longer runs aren't for me.  3 weeks ago I ran 9 miles "accidentally" and I felt really great, so great that 2 weeks later I ran 10 miles.  That run went so well, that I thought I'd try 11 this week.  Now I'm left wondering if I want to continue to up my mileage on the weekends.  I do want to run a half marathon this summer, so I guess I have to up my mileage for that, but I haven't been specifically training for it right now, I have a few months.  I have been just seeing how far I can push my body.   

Sunday evening I was sore, I had a hard time walking and just really didn't want to move.  I think the only thing that saved dinner (meaning I did cook rather than skip it) was the fact that I wanted to listen to my audiobook some more.  =)  Thankfully I woke up yesterday not feeling sore.  I do have some pretty bad shin splints though. 

I really didn't want to run yesterday, but once again, because of my "forced" rest days on Wednesdays (because of D's baseball games) and zumba on Tuesdays, I knew that if I was going to run 5 times this week, I needed to run yesterday.  I decided to just put on my running clothes as soon as I got home even though I had to wait an hour because D had gymnastics and there wasn't time before we had to take him to run.  I only ran 4 miles, but I think that might be my new Monday mileage, and "easy" 4 miles after a long run on Sunday. 

Today, I'm not sure if I'm going to go to zumba.  My shins are really sore and I've been thinking that 2 rest days might be good for me.  I just hate that they are in a row, although that might be a good thing for my body, just not good for my brain.  =)

1 comment:

  1. Listen to your body. You can tell the difference between what your body needs and what your brain thinks you need. (they are not always on the same page!)

    ReplyDelete