Monday, September 30, 2013

Figuring out the gym

I went to a cycle class at the Y on Thursday.  I have been calling it a "spin class" but I think it's much easier than a true spin class.  I enjoyed it, but I hope it gets harder as the season goes on.  (It just started after taking the summer off.)  It also did "strength training" which was a lot of leg lifts and crunches and situps.  That part of the class was an hour, while the "spin" part was only 30 min.  I was kinda disappointed in that because I'd rather do an hour of spin, but again, it was the first class after the summer break, so I'm hoping it gets better. 

The class bikes were better than the bike I used in the gym on Tuesday.  The class bikes were actual "spin" bikes, while the gym bike was just a stationary bike.  Getting up on my feet was WAY easier on the actual spin bikes, I don't know if I'll use the gym bike again, it wasn't nearly as much "fun."

After using the bike in the gym on Tuesday, my bum hurt really bad.  I could feel it as soon as I sat on the bike for the class and Friday. . . well, lets just say that parts of me hurt in ways that really should be illegal.  I'm better now, but tomorrow is another "cycle" class.

So Friday I decided to rest.  I am so bored with the elliptical and the row machines it's not even funny.  And after using a "true" spin bike, I can't see myself doing the gym bike again.  Plus, with Damian's activities, and Chris working late lately, I didn't have a lot of time to go to the gym. 

Maybe I should back up . . . I forgot to mention that I did an assessment at the gym on Thursday during my lunch hour.  I met with a personal trainer and he went through my current level of fitness and what my goals are.  He was the one that recommended I go to the cycle class.  He also recommended I start swimming, and go to a Pilates class.  This whole assessment thing was the entire reason I went to the cycle class Thursday afternoon.  I enjoyed the class and am wanting to go again. 

I have to tell you, I enjoyed the class so much more than just going to the gym, that I skipped the gym completely this weekend.  I was going to go to another cycle class on Saturday morning, but then realized that it doesn't start until October.  So then I was going to go swimming, but let time get away from me and didn't make it.  I thought I would just go Sunday morning since the pool is open later and that works better for me, but again, I skipped it.  I feel like I've gotten so lazy and I hate it, but I almost hate the boring machines more. 

Today there are no classes . . . well, there's yoga at 5:30, but I don't know . . . I am really apprehensive about starting new things, even though I know I would most likely enjoy it, and I really do want to be more flexible.  I could do the yoga class, or I could go swimming at 7:30.  I don't really want to go to the gym that late because it's right at Maddox's bedtime, but I don't think the machines are going to be what gets me through this stupid plantar faciitis.  I just know I have to do something today.  It's been 3 days since I worked out and I am feeling very sluggish and kinda yucky. 

I really wish I could go for a run.  Even in this stormy, rainy, windy weather.  I miss running.

No comments:

Post a Comment