Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Catching up

Well, I definitely didn't make 100 miles in August.  In fact, it was my lowest month for mileage in all of 2013.  Only 84.48 miles.  I ended up taking a rest day on Thursday, which I wasn't scheduled for and then didn't do my long run until Sunday, which brought my weekly mileage down to only 20.9.  That, with the week off for camping made a low month. 

Honestly, I don't know if I'm going to make 1200 miles in 2013.  It's completely doable . . . but I have a pain in my heal on my left foot.  I have been ignoring it for a little while, partly because it doesn't hurt regularly and I thought it went away, but mostly because I've been in denial.  I'm pretty sure it's the dreaded plantar fasciitis.  Of course, everything I read about it says that you should start treating it as soon as you feel the pain, but because it has been so mild, and comes and goes, I was in denial that it was anything serious.

However, last week really made me think that I have been in denial.  I ran 9 miles, then the next couple days in a row I wore high heels (which I love), but it made my foot really ache by Wednesday.  I iced it, but it wasn't feeling much better on Thursday, so I rested.   I have been wearing only tennis shoes, but it is so hard for me. I am a barefoot kinda girl, and I love my heels.  Yesterday I bought some shoe inserts so am going to try that, plus stretching a lot.  However, I do have my half marathon this upcoming Sunday, so I am going to do that.  After that, I guess I'll see what happens. 

But if it doesn't go away . . . well, I don't know if I will be able to run as much, and I definitely won't be logging lots of miles.  I'm really kinda bummed about it.  I don't have a gym membership, so I can't do an elliptical or go swimming.  I just don't really know what I'm going to do about exercise.  =/

Because I had such a busy summer, I didn't train well for this upcoming half.  Then two weeks ago I went to run 11 miles and ended up only doing 9, I realize that I was running too fast, which is why at 9 miles I felt like I was dying, but it really hurt my confidence to be able to run 13.1 miles.  I know that you should taper your runs in the few weeks before a race, but I have been really, really worried, and I didn't have the "high" mileage to taper from.  Anyway, I decided that on Sunday I was going to run 10 miles and not worry about the taper.

Sunday's run was fantastic.  Because I was so on the fence about how far I was going to go, I decided to do my 5 mile loop twice.  I don't know why I've never thought about that before, but I loved it.  I figured if I needed to, or wanted to, I could stop at 5 miles, or I can cut a mile off and only do 9 (my 5 mile loop is the same as my 4 mile loop except at the very end where I turn a different way to add or subtract a mile).  I left my gummy bears (every time I buy energy gels I lose them so I decided to go with gummy bears this time) and water at my house.  I would stop, take a drink, eat some gummies, use the restroom if needed, and continue.  That worked perfectly.  (Maybe one of my problems is that I'm not taking energy stuff early enough.)  I stopped, drank, ate, peed and was on my way again. 

I also think that because I do that loop so often, it was familiar and I could turn my brain off and go on autopilot for the second loop.  I didn't have to figure out where to go or worry about how far it would be, I just went.  Plus, on my normal 10+ mile loop, I have to go past my road and continue on a trail for another mile and back to get the whole 10 (or more) miles in.  It's always very, very tempting to stop at my road and go home, which is what I did the week before.  With my 5 mile loop (x2) in order to get home I had to do the rest of the loop.  There was no temptation to stop early because then it would be a loonnnggg walk home.

Damian started 9th grade today.  I'm not too thrilled to have a high schooler in my house . . . they grow way too fast.
Yesterday we went shopping for pants for Damian.  We went down to Lynnwood, which is about 45 min away and where I used to live, to go to Value Village down there.  While we were down there we stopped at D's old daycare, something he's begged me to do for awhile.  He loved that daycare.  We also drove by our old apt.  It definitely made me miss old times.  Damian and I were on our own for 8 years.  And we lived in that apt for 6 of those.  It was the first place that I really felt like was home since moving out of my parent's house, and D said it's the first place he remembers living.  He was 4 when we moved there and doesn't remember all the other places we lived (6 places in his first 4 years).  Anyway, it was a trip down memory lane and made me very nostalgic and sad.  I love my life now, but sometimes I miss the time when it was just him and me.
 
 Anyway, since Lynnwood's a much bigger area and so close to Seattle, the clothes are way better in the thrift stores down there than they are up where I live, so we went to Value Village.  We went down there specifically for the better clothes choices, plus, Damian was concerned about being seen going into a thrift store, so this way no one he knew would see us.  =)  We found 5 pairs of pants for Damian, all of them really, really nice pants.
 
While we were there, I decided I wanted to see if I could find some skinny jeans.  My mom bought me a pair when I was pregnant with Maddox, but they have an elastic waist (they aren't maternity pants, but because of the elastic waist I was able to wear them my whole pregnancy).  Anyway, I really like them (other than the waist), and continue wearing them, but they are getting very saggy.  So I went over to the women's size 10 area, and found the only pair of skinny jeans I could find, a size 9. 
 
If you are a female, you probably know that a 10 is more of an adult women's size, and a 9 is more of a teenage girl size (smaller).  But I thought I'd try them on anyway.  They fit so well, I wondered if I could fit in a size 8, so back to the racks I went.  I picked out the first pair of 8's I saw (which were also Levi's) and back to the fitting room.  I was sooooooo excited when they fit too.  I couldn't believe it.  I haven't bought a pair of Levi's in a while, but I thought they were pants that generally run small, so I was even more excited.  I ended up buying both pairs of pants (only $13).  I couldn't stop smiling. 
Size 9 skinny jeans
Damian is so awesome.  He talked about my size for awhile, and even said "maybe you'd even fit a size 7."  And then when we got home he asked Chris if I had told him my "good news,"  my new size.  =) 

Speaking of the greatness of my child, when we rang up our 7 pairs of pants and 2 sets of pumpkin carving tools (D's idea), the total came out to $78.  D was so worried about having spent too much, he said he would put a pair or two of his back.  I told him mulitple times that $78 for 7 pairs of jeans is fantastic (even if we hadn't spent $7 on the pumpkin stuff).  When we got home I was looking at his pants, he got a pair of Wranglers (regular store cost $32), Levis ($45), Arizona ($36), and a couple others I can't remember the brands.  I told him the price of those, and then said I also got a pair of Levis and Mudd ($25-40).  That all comes out to around $180, just for those 5, not counting the other 2 pairs.  I think $70 (or so) on pants at Value Village is an amazing price.  He finally quit worrying about it and really loves his pants.  =)

1 comment:

  1. Wooo hooo on the skinny jeans!

    As for exercise...bike bike bike! :-) Good luck with the heel!

    ReplyDelete