Thursday, July 18, 2013

Getting out of the funk

I was scrolling down my feed to get to the beginning of the blogs I haven't read yet, and even though I thought I made progress yesterday, I'm still sooooo far behind.  =(  If you get a comment from me, I'm sorry it's so late, but sometimes there are things I want to say.  I'm trying to be more active in other's blogs (such as commenting) but it's hard when I'm more than a week behind. 

Anyway.

I have felt like I've been in a funk the last month or longer, maybe even 2 months or longer with my running.  I have been running, but I haven't been running as much.  I completely quit doing long runs, and I haven't done intervals in forever.  I go for a 4 mile run (sometimes 5, mostly 4) and call it good.  The end of last week I decided I needed to get out of this funk and just start running again.  I went on a long run of 8 miles on Sunday and I have been forcing myself to go running all week (not Monday, but that was a rest day).  I really didn't want to run yesterday, but I felt great after I did. 

I spent a lot of time yesterday reading August's issue of Runner's World (I've always wondered why they send the next month's issue at the beginning of this month for all magazines).  I think I might be coming out of the funk.  I was looking at an advertisement for the Las Vegas Rock n Roll marathon and 1/2 marathon and I decided I want to do that.  I don't want to do a full marathon, I'm not committed to that yet but I do want to do the half.  I won't be doing it this year, it's in November, and I just don't have the time to save up for it, but maybe next year. 

While I was thinking about that race, I decided that I want to do some bigger races (bigger as is more people).  So far I have only done local ones, and they have all been pretty small.  We don't have the funds for me to travel far for races, but I could definitely go to Seattle for a race or two.  My parents live in eastern WA along with other family members, I could definitely do races there.  So, I'm not sure that I'm very committed to do these bigger races this year, but I am thinking I will definitely start looking at them for next year.  I would LOVE to increase my race bling.  As of now, I only have one medal from my half marathon.  I want more.  I want to be one of those runners that has to buy a plaque or something to hang my medals on.  =)

There is a half marathon in the fall that I've been planning on doing and that will get me another medal.  =)  I just need to start training for it again.  I found a great training chart in Runner's World and I may try to follow it.  It will be my first official training guide.  When I was training for my previous half marathon, I just added another mile to my long run every week and didn't do anything different with my weekday runs.  This training guide has hill repeats and tempo runs among other things.  I've never done either of those . . .  I don't know if I'm disciplined enough in my running to actually follow a plan though.  I normally just run whenever I feel like it (5 days a week) and however long I feel like (4-6 miles).  Maybe following an official training program would increase my speed, although I think 2 hours and 7 min is pretty good.  =)

I think I've found my love of running again.  Now I have to wait till the end of the day to go.  =( 

This weekend (tomorrow) I am headed to Spokane for Damian's All Stars Little League State Tournament. (That's a mouth full.)  =)  I am not very hopeful that they'll make it far in the tourney, but maybe they will, I don't know.  Last year D's team went (he didn't because we already had our camping trip reserved for that week not knowing about All Stars) and they lost their first 2 games and were out.  The coach thinks they have a better team this year, so maybe.  Who knows?  Anyway, Spokane is about a 5 hour drive from here and I hate it.  I will be driving very close to my parents house, however, at the turn to go to my parents' house (which is another hour from that turn) I have to go straight and another 2 hours from there. That extra hour in the car is very painful. 

I don't know if I will be online at all this weekend, but that shouldn't make a difference anyway as I don't normally post on the weekends.  =)

Here's a super cute picture to keep you entertained.  =)


No comments:

Post a Comment