Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Where were you?

Do you remember where you were on 9/11/2001 when you first heard that a plane crashed into one of the World Trade Center towers?  I know there are people that were closer, that had loved ones affected.  Fortunately for me, I did not have loved ones affected, but that doesn't mean that it didn't affect me on a personal level. 

I was living with just my son in eastern WA, I worked at Payless Shoes and was woken up by a phone call.  I was separated from my husband and had a boyfriend that lived in Michigan.  He called me and told me what was going on and told me to turn on the TV.  I had to work that day, but I was glued to the TV in the break room for most of the day.  My sister was watching Damian and she watched the news the entire day.

My boyfriend decided that he wanted to move to WA right away after it happened.  However, I had other thoughts.  It made me think about what was important in my life and how much I had "thrown away."  I made a lunch date with my separated husband and told him that I wanted to get back together, up until this point our separation was mostly my decision.  He told me he had to think about it and would let me know.  A month later (right around my birthday) he told me he couldn't forgive me and wanted a divorce and then my Christmas present from him was actual divorce papers.

My boyfriend never moved to WA.  I moved to western WA in January 2002.

I know that some of the chain of events that happened after 9/11/01 was not caused by the tragic event that happened clear across the country.  I realize that many of the things probably would have happened anyway.  But I think my decision to reevaluate what I was doing and then talk to Chris, definitely sped up my husband's mind to get divorced.  Who knows if I would have actually moved to western WA if he hadn't given me divorce papers when he did.  After he told me he wanted a divorce I needed to get away.  I wanted to run, and if I hadn't had Damian, I probably would have moved to Michigan, which would have COMPLETELY altered my life.  However, I did have Damian and I ended up moving to Lynnwood to be closer to my sister and farther away from my husband. 

Obviously, my boyfriend and I didn't stay together.  He will always have a place in my heart, but the distance was a huge factor in our demise.  He was going to move to WA but there never seemed to be the right time.  We broke up and eventually my (ex)husband and I got back together. 

I know this day isn't about me.  I know that it didn't actually affect me personally.  I am so moved by the pictures and the stories of everyday people that helped complete strangers.  People that went in because that is what they were called to do and didn't come out.  People that didn't even work as a first responders that helped others.  So much needless loss and pain.  I don't know if others are affected by this tragedy as I am, people that have no real connection to New York or anyone living there.  I still have a flag sticker on my car from 9/11/01.  I am proud to be called American.



1 comment:

  1. It affects me every year...I have a hard time listening to the 911 calls..the people who couldn't get out, the ones jumping, watching the towers fall & knowing that there were still so many people inside. I can't even bring myself to watch most of it...still makes me cry instantly. I don't think that I'll ever get totally past it & I don't think that's such a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete