Monday, September 24, 2012

FMM - Fall love

I always have good intentions to post on the weekend, I always tell myself  "this weekend I'm going to post everyday."  The reality is much different.  I get lazy.  =)

My Mom came to visit this weekend.  She took my sister and I clothes shopping for our birthdays.  My sister's was Sept 11th, and mine is Oct 6th.  We usually go to Kohl's for these kinds of shopping expeditions so that is what we did on Saturday.  Kohl's is really great if you go during their big sales.  They are not so great if there isn't a big sale.  They had a lot of summer clearance clothes, but we were looking for fall/winter clothes, and there wasn't a big sale.  I ended up with only 4 shirts and a pair of leggings, and it was expensive.  I'm glad I didn't need jeans. (Well, I kinda do, but I can get them at Goodwill for $15 or less and I just bought 2 pairs a few weeks ago, although one pair is MIA.)

Anyway, we had Maddox with us shopping.  The last time we did this kind of shopping trip was about this time last year, and he slept the whole time in his stroller.  He's older now and very picky about where he sleeps (crib/playpens only).  He didn't take a nap all day.  He fell asleep on the way down to Lynnwood, where we went shopping, but for only about 20 or 30 min.  And then he fell asleep on the way home at 5:30pm.  (He naps very faithfully at 10am and 2pm.)  So he was one cranky boy!

Then on Sunday we went to church.  Church starts at 10 . . . see above for nap times.  =)  We then went to lunch, but he fell asleep on the way home (he hardly ever falls asleep in the car unless it's a long drive and he's really tired).  He took a normal 2 hour nap, but that meant he didn't get his 2nd nap, so he was just one cranky kid in the evenings this weekend. 

The blue blanket my sister made for
him and it's super soft, he loves it.
He also loves all stuffed animals,
especially his Moose pillow pet,
which he is hugging here.  =)
I heard about this hair method, called Curly Girl on a friend's Facebook page.  It's for females with curly hair (hence the name Curly Girl.) =)  Anyway, it says that you should not use a shampoo with sulfates in it, and you should not use conditioner with silicone's in them.  Sulfates strip your hair of its natural oils, and then the silicone's "replace" the oils, but you can't get the silicone's off your hair unless you use sulfates, otherwise they build up in your hair.  Anyway, it says that you don't need to wash your hair at all, you can just use silicone-free conditioner to wash your hair and then you use another silicone-free conditioner to condition your hair.  (Does any of this make sense?)  Anyway, I have naturally curly hair, it used to be super curly and now after having my first son, it has turned into a wavy mass of frizz.  I straighten it sometimes, but it is very, very thick and I am growing it out, so the longer it gets, the longer it takes to straighten.  A year ago I was straightening it every day, now it's down to about once a week.

Anyway, I read a lot about it this weekend and I'm kinda excited to try it.  It says that it takes 2-6 weeks for your hair to get used to it, and your hair may actually look worse at first, but if you stick with it, it will get better.  I researched what kind of shampoos and conditioners work and I found this blog. However, the list is 4 years old and is a bit out of date.  I went to Walmart and was not able to find any of the shampoos listed (maybe Sally's Beauty Supply would have worked), but I did find a bottle that said "sulfate and silicone free."

I get my hair colored, my natural color is a muddy blond, which I have never liked.  I used to color it blond, and now it's a very dark brown (some people tell me it's black).  I am going to continue to color my hair, so I'm sure that is outside of the Curly Girl Method, but I hope that if I follow it 95% (I also may want to straighten my hair sometimes) that it will still work for me.  My next hair appt is this Wednesday, so Thursday I'm going to start this "new thing."  I'll let you know how it works.  :-)

The only pic I have of my unstraightened hair.

It is Friend Makin' Monday. =)  Kenlie at All the Weigh, hosts this, go check her out. =) 

If you’ve taken part in FMM then you know the rules. If you’re new, please take a moment to answer this weeks question on your own blog then add your link in the comments section here at: All the Weigh so we can all see your FMM questions and answers. Please invite your blog readers to add their links here too so everyone has to opportunity to be seen. The idea is to connect with other awesome bloggers so take a moment to post your own FMM post and comment on a couple of other posts. Now it’s time for this week’s topic!

Fall Favorites

1. What is your favorite thing about this time of year?  Boots! Sweaters! The leaves on the ground and crunching through them when I walk/run.  Crisp cool mornings.  The decorations.  Drinking my coffee on my balcony and listening to the birds (oh, wait, I moved 5 years ago and no longer have a balcony.)  =) 
I have a love affair with sweaters.
 
 . . . and boots





















2. What do you hope to do again before Summer is officially over?  I think I am summer-ed out.  I am ready and excited for the fall.  

3. When did you last go on a hay ride?  At my parent's church we went caroling every Christmas time on a big truck with hay bales and then had a chili feed afterwards.  It was the best!  That church doesn't do it anymore (they've been through 2 different pastors since I left home) and I don't remember if I went at all after I left home and while they were still doing it.

4. What is your favorite pumpkin dish?  I love pumpkin pie.

5. Do you decorate your home for fall?  I love decorations.  However, I don't have any fall ones.  I wish I did.  I wish I had tons of stuff to put in my yard.  However, decorations aren't a necessity and can get expensive.

6. Do you have any hobbies that are seasonally specific? If so, what are they?  No, not really. 

7. Apple cider or hot chocolate?  Apple cider!  Starbucks caramel apple cider is the BEST!

8. Are you a fan of football?  If so, who is your team?  Yes, I like football.  Not as much as my husband, but enough to be okay when he has the games on.  I like the Seahawks (yes, I live in WA). =) I think I also like Baltimore, but mostly I just watch the Seahawks games.  =) 

9. Share a fond Fall memory.  I dated a guy in Michigan while my husband and I were separated.  I visited him often in the fall, and I loved the trees and the colors there.  I would love to go back someday, but I doubt it will ever happen.

10. It’s not Fall until…I break out my sweaters and boots.  I wore my first pair of boots yesterday.  =)  I think I need a new pair. 

Now it’s your turn to answer this week’s questions.  Don’t forget to come back and link up in the comments!  Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Fall Fashion is to die for! I love the options and the cute accessories! I live in Florida now but I do miss PA since Fall is gorgeous there with the leaves.

    ReplyDelete