Friday, September 5, 2014

Jogging stroller, failed goals, and PF

So I've been doing some running with my jogging stroller.  Damian started school this week, so my built in babysitter is gone all day, but I had been using it more before he went back to school anyway.  With less miles I feel like it's not that big of a deal to take Maddox for a run with me.  I was doing mostly 3 miles with him, but last week I upped it to 4 miles with the stroller.  I used to run with the stroller quite a bit the first year I ran, but because my stroller is so old and beat up, it's really annoying, so I pretty much quit using it all together. 

Several weeks ago I talked Damian into running with me a couple times.  He had decided he wanted to play football this year and since he quit gymnastics and only did baseball last year in other sports (he used to do basketball, wrestling, soccer, baseball, gymnastics) he hasn't been as active as he used to be so I told him he should start doing small runs with me to build up to football.  He did 2 runs with me (I considered that a win since he doesn't really like running) but because he was my babysitter we took the stroller out (pumped up the tires) and took Maddox with us.

So even though Damian only did 2 runs with me, I decided to continue taking the stroller on 3 mile runs because it would increase my cardio workout quite a bit and hopefully make up for such short runs.  I don't know if it's getting easier, but I don't mind taking Maddox once or twice (preferably only once) a week. 

It's really frustrating to have this problem with my feet (plantar faciitis).  It is definitely getting better, which makes it even harder for me because I want to run more, and since my feet aren't in constant pain I feel like I could, but I know that I can't.  I have to let my feet heal if I don't want to battle this any longer. 

Tomorrow is the year anniversary for my second half marathon (well, it was Sept 8th last year, but it is tomorrow, the 6th, this year).  It's very bittersweet for me.  This year was going to be my marathon year.  I was going to increase my miles completely, making the goal of 100 miles every month, which would put me at 1200+ miles for the year, and do more races.  Yeah, if you look to the sidebar, I've only done 3 races this year, and had to cancel my marathon training.  Not to mention last month I only got 51 miles in.  There goes pretty much every single one of my goals for 2014. Every.Single.One.  BUT I know I have to do this.  I have to cut back on my running.  I HAVE to.  I love running too much to cause permanent physical damage to my feet.

My left foot has been struggling with the PF for over a year.  I completely ignored it all last summer, finally resting it after the Skagit Flats half marathon (the one that is tomorrow).  I only rested it for 2 months, and then went right back to running.  I did do physical therapy (for a month and a half)($20 copays every single time I went in)(they wanted me to go in 2x a week), but then ignored the pt therapist and increased my miles anyway.  And then started training for a marathon.  Yeah, none of these were the best decisions I've ever had.  So now I also have it in my right foot, although my left foot is definitely worse. 

Decreasing my miles and rolling it every day (I try to ice, but that's not every day) definitely helps.  Oh and shoes with inserts ALL THE TIME.  (I am a barefoot girl, not even a flip flop girl but barefoot, so it's hard.) There are still mornings when I hobble to the bathroom, but not as often and not as badly.  And I rarely feel it during the day anymore, although it definitely bothers me for the first half mile of any run. 

My weight has definitely crept up to the firm 148 range.  Which I am annoyed about, but my eating has not been stellar, and I doubt it ever will be.  It's easier for me when I am going to work every day.  I don't snack much, really hardly ever, but it is just easier to remind myself when I am at work about what I'm going to eat when I get home (dinner-wise).  Actually, it just occurred to me, I stay up later since I'm not working, and that is prime snacking time (or wine time).  When I work, I go to bed at 9 or 9:30, now I'm going to bed closer to 11 and my defenses go down in the evening (especially for popcorn and wine).

So that's about it for me.  Damian is a sophomore this year, and his 16th birthday is in 2 weeks (ouch).  His first football game is Monday (J.V. - Varsity plays tonight), and he is loving it.  I'm so glad he is playing, and I think he's glad I talked him into it.  =)

Oh and I've spent substantial time trying to get caught up on everyone's blogs.  I went from close to 150 unread ones to only 38, but I haven't read any yesterday or today, so I'm sure it's back up to at least 50-75 again.  (I read too many blogs, but I am such a voyeur that I don't want to delete any of them because I'm so interested in everyone's lives.)

I'm going to look for a marathon in the winter (do they have them at that time?) or maybe early next spring, and hope I can start training for one again.  I haven't given up that goal, just put it on hold for a little while.  It's very humorous to me to think that has become a goal.  2 years ago I said 26.2 miles was crazy and now I'm bummed that I can't do it.  (That link I just put is kind of a funny post looking back at what I've done since I wrote it.)  =)

I hope you all have a great weekend.  Being on Chris's schedule means my week just started (today is his "Monday").  Next weekend I am going to Leavenworth with my sister.  We started a girls weekend a couple years and I love it.  We went to Leavenworth the first year we went, but Nancy suggested doing a wine tour this time, so we were going to do that.  However, the tour is full for the weekend we can go, so I was looking at other things and it turns out there is a wine walk that weekend, and it's much cheaper.  So, while we won't be able to ride in a limo, we'll still be able to taste some wine and have a lot of fun. =) (Nancy doesn't even care for wine much, but she wants to, so she branches out into white wine sometimes, which is what I started with {white wine is the gateway wine lol}.  I always bring a bottle to family stuff now so that she has some, it would be awesome to have that with her too.) 

I forgot to mention I have an interview on Monday.  So keep your fingers crossed.  =)

Since I'm a firm believer in pictures, I'll leave you with a one or twelve.  =)

My lunch yesterday (with a hardboiled egg that I had already eaten) I totally ruined that good eating by then having pizza to watch the Seahawks season opener.  (Go HAWKS!)  Oh, and that's a homegrown cucumber (but I forgot to buy cauliflower seeds, so that is not).
 Maddox's nap yesterday.  He naps better on the couch, so we've been doing that lately.  Maddox with nap is way, way better than Maddox without nap.
 He loves puzzles, that one he's playing with I got from my Mom, it was mine and my sisters' when we were kids and definitely has a 1950's or 1960's feel to it, so I wonder if it was hers when she was young.
 Maddox also loves the park, although this is what he did for almost the entire time we were at this particular park.
And he loves to hang.  Especially after watching American Ninja Warrior, he hangs on everything.

I should include at least one picture of Damian.  This was after football practice, they had to army crawl in some sand somewhere.  He was filthy.  =)

2 comments:

  1. I"m so sorry to hear that your PF is really bothering you quite a bit. I think i'm lucky that my has never gotten that bad. I attribute it to immediately halting all weight bearing exercise immediately upon the first pain. (which for me is odd...I usually soldier on until it's unbearable). I have a slight ache here and there...but it's slight enough that if I tape my foot and ice it I'm fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's completely my fault, MaryFran. Last year is I had stopped for a longer amount of time I would probably not be still struggling with it.

      Delete