Monday, March 17, 2014

Busy, yet relaxing, weekend

This weekend was quite a busy weekend for me, especially Friday.  I worked my normal half day on Friday and then went to Damian's robotics competition at the high school.  I have never seen a robotics competition before, so it was quite interesting.  Those kids really get into it.  =)  I dropped Damian off at the school in the morning and there were a bunch of kids going into the gym where the event was being held, and he said "Soooo many nerds, I'm glad I'm one of them."  =)  It is taking me some time to get used to my very, very active sports kid being so involved in robotics and very "nerdy" activities.  Don't get me wrong, I think it's great, just not something I pictured him ever doing, especially with his learning disorder.  My sister came up to watch the competition with me, which was nice, but we were both shocked by the level of spirit and just plain "nerdiness" that was displayed the whole time. 

We grew up in a very, very small town (I had 14 kids in my graduating class), if you didn't play sports you were weird.  And you played everything.  I played volleyball, basketball, tennis, and was a cheerleader.  This was common (well, except for the cheerleading part, only 5 girls on the squad).  We didn't have things like robotics.  My sister was the same way, except she didn't like basketball and didn't play it.  So for us to see the level of, I don't really know what to call it, "spirit" (I guess) was strange to us as it wasn't a sporting event.  The kids dressed up, face paint and all, it looked like one of our homecoming games.  It was strange (for us country bumpkins).  =)  And then throw my "jock" kid into that . . . and enjoying himself . . . was even more strange. 

Damian, since he was 6, has played multiple sports.  He started out with baseball, then a year later he played soccer, then basketball.  Then he quit soccer, started gymnastics, started wrestling.  Then he quit basketball and wrestling (this year), but continues with baseball and gymnastics and next year wants to try for football.  To me, this is the definition of a jock (not in a bad way), and yet, he identifies with the "nerds."  (I use the word "nerds" because that is what he called himself and liked the word.)  Needless to say, I am having a hard time getting my head wrapped around it.

Before the robotics competition was over, we had to leave.  Damian had his state gymnastics meet in Vancouver, WA on Saturday morning and we were driving down there Friday night.  However, Damian also starts driver's ed in a week and wanted to get his driver's permit, so he wanted to stop by the DOL on the way out of town and that closed at 5pm.  So we stopped there, and then drove through rush hour traffic south to Vancouver. 

We got to our hotel at about 10pm and then we had to go to his meet at 8am.  We were at his gymnastics meet until early afternoon on Saturday.  I treated him to Red Lobster (with my Christmas gift card from Chris) and then back to the hotel. We walked over to Fred Meyer to let the food settle in my stomach and then back to the hotel.

I am excited to say that I went for a 5 mile run after we got back.  I was really apprehensive about it.  I didn't know where to go.  The hotel was on a really busy street, with lots of fast food places and stores (Fred Meyer, Trader Joe's, etc.) and I didn't want to run on it.  I looked up a satellite map of the area and found that just behind the hotel, with one connecting street, there was a residential area and if I went far enough there was a small park with a trail in it.  So I went that way.  I was planning on only doing 4 miles, but it honestly felt so good, and it went by so quick that I went 2.5 miles out and then 2.5 miles back. 

I got back and Damian and I went for a swim in the hotel's pool.  And let me tell you, getting in that water right after running was the most amazing feeling ever!  I need a pool now.  I avoided the hot tub at first because I was still hot from my run, but after cooling down in the pool, the hot tub felt fabulous too.  I would settle for a hot tub, if I can't have a pool. 

After swimming we ordered a pizza and I let Damian drive (it was mainly through parking lots to Pizza Hut, no traffic at all).  We watched Catching Fire (what we bought at Fred Meyer) on my computer and I fell asleep at about 11pm. 

I was so excited to sleep in on Sunday.  No Maddox, didn't need to be out of the hotel till 11am.  And I woke up at 7am, which is only a half hour later than I usually wake up on weekends.  =(  I laid in bed and read a book and watched some TV while Damian snoozed.  I woke him up about 9:30 and we got ready and left.  The drive home was much quicker than the drive down.  And when I got home I went for another run.  =)  Only 4 miles, but it was nice to know that I did it.

I did not eat very well over the weekend.  Fast food both Friday (McDonald's, first time in months and months,yuck!) and Sunday (Wendy's, slightly better tasting, but still, ugh!) while on the road.  Red Lobster (crab and shrimp are good for you, butter and biscuits are not, nor probably was the lobster bisque . . .and the long island iced tea) for lunch on Saturday and then pizza, popcorn, and wine for dinner.  However, I was bracing myself this morning for a weigh in of 150 . . . and I was 148.2.  I will take that as a win.  It's still up, but still under 150.  =)  Really good eating planned for the week, and hopefully my weight will be back down to 146-145 on Wednesday.  =)

I'd like to run today, but we have to go grocery shopping, so I don't know if I'll be able to.  Depends on if Chris gets home before I can get out the door.  =)

I have some pictures, but they are not sending to my email . . . so you may not get them.  Sorry!

2 comments:

  1. Tighten it up and that 'fast good weight' will disappear!!

    The question is this? How did Damian do at his meet??? My niece just fell and broke her arm in two places..so even though she qualified for states this year, her gymnastics competitive year is over...yes, she's pretty bummed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I did forget to mention how he did at the state meet. He did good, it wasn't his best meet of the season, but he did qualify for regionals, so we are going back to Portland in April for that.

      Delete