Monday, March 10, 2014

More than you probably want to know about my weight this last week

I work in the mental health field, so I know it's not unusual for my clients to be depressed.  However, I have noticed a lot more people feeling "down" (maybe not completely depressed, but definitely feeling blue).  I experience SAD (seasonal affective disorder) to a limited degree, but it appears to have hit more people this year than I have noticed in the past.  Chris said he was feeling depressed lately, and a lot of my clients have stated they are feeling more "blue" than normal.  Even some of the bloggers I read have said they are experiencing it.

In other parts of the US and Canada, winter has been really, really severe this year.  Western WA hasn't been much different than normal though, so it's interesting that so many people here are affected as well.  Anyway, I hope that if you are suffering anything from a "blue" period to depression, you know you are not alone and to surround yourself with supportive people, maybe even a dr who can prescribe meds if needed, or be someone you can talk to.
________________

So . . . I have been so elated over my weight being down.  I am so scared to eat anything different than I have been that my lunches were becoming very boring.  I eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast every morning, I've been doing that for awhile now.  With a 3.5 lb weight loss, myfitnesspal told me that I needed to eat less calories, so I eliminated one of my eggs (I was eating 3).  I don't notice a huge difference, thankfully, in hunger in the morning.  I have been making a chicken breast for lunch and have had a piece of fruit with it.  Monday was avocado, Tuesday was apple, and Wednesday was a banana.  Thursday I decided to put my chicken in a salad (with some ranch) so I did that and had another banana.

Wednesday with my weigh-in being so low (the lowest I had seen for many, many, many years), I was feeling good about myself.  Sometimes we have drug representatives come to the office to peddle their mental health drugs and they bring us breakfast.  They always have fruit, but they also usually have bagels, donuts, or muffins.  I don't know if I've mentioned this, but I have a weakness for donuts.  I have a hard time walking away from them.  (In fact, there was some in the break room on Monday and I left them in the morning, but they were still there after lunch and I ended up eating one.)  Well, Wed. I did not look closely at what they had, I got my water and left.

THEN that afternoon, Costco came by to sell memberships and they brought muffins, cookies, fruit, and other stuff I don't remember.  Anyway, I grabbed a half of a muffin and a banana.  I came back to my desk and took a nibble of the muffin, and then set it aside.  I had some appts and when I came back to my desk I decided to leave the muffin until Thursday.  Then I thought, no, I don't want this, and I threw it away, away from my desk.  I was proud of myself.  =)

Then that evening I had 2 glasses of wine.  I obsessed over the second glass of wine all night (even in my dreams).  I was so worried that I had jumped back up to 150, I KNEW I had jumped back up.  Thursday morning I weighed myself again and yay!!! 146.4, down 0.2 lbs.  Thursday night I was better and Friday I was down again, 145.6.

Friday night I went to a friend's house to hang out.  I knew I was going to be drinking, so I ate very well, and not a whole lot all day.  I was really worried about my weight spiking back up to 150.  I had to be home early Saturday morning, so I was very worried about getting up on time.  I ended up not drinking very much, and then not sleeping very well.  When I got home, after drinking some water on the way home (no coffee till I was home) I weighed myself and I was down to 144.2.  I was amazed, shocked, ecstatic . . .

Saturday I ate popcorn late in the evening, and had more wine than I have for more than a week.  I was back up to 145.6 Sunday morning.  Then yesterday, Sunday, I went for my first long run in 3 weeks, and decided to splurge on a blizzard (small) after dinner.  Today my weight was back up to 147.0.  Can you believe that a week ago I was super excited to see 147.6 and today I'm a little bummed to see 147.0?  What a difference a week makes. 
Or none . . .
Today is a rest day for running (I think, I still haven't completely decided), so I'm going to tighten up my eating.  Since I changed my weight on myfitnesspal.com, my calorie limit went down, but other than Saturday (the popcorn and wine did me in) I have been below my new calorie limit every day.  I am super proud of that, I tend to not do well with my diet.

It's funny because I have lost 5 lbs (and gained 2 from last night) in a week and I want everyone to notice.  I notice all my clothes fitting looser, and I see more definition in my stomach.  I'm so excited to have broken free of the plateau I've been in, I want everyone to notice.  No one has, well, Chris said something as I was getting dressed the other day, but he's the only one that's seen me naked.  Oh well, I have to be happy that I notice.  =)

My official weigh in isn't till Wednesday, so I guess I'll see how it goes.  =)

I don't intend to chain myself to the scale, but I know that if I don't weigh myself regularly I tend to start letting things slip.  And with this losing streak, I want to be on top of it as much as possible.  I want this weight to stick.  If I'm stuck at 147 (or lower?!) for 10 months I'm okay with that . . . I see a trend where I get in a plateau for awhile and then a big loss.  This time it was just a 9 month plateau.  Maybe I can make it shorter next time . . .

I didn't intend this post to be all about my weight, it just got away from me.  I am a little obsessed with it right now.  I do have some runs I want to talk about, most notably my Thursday run, but I guess I will save that for tomorrow, or maybe I'll do a double post today.  We'll see how much time I have to type it up.  =)
Because it made me laugh!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, it's much better to be obsessed about your weight than not giving a shit. You know of what I speak, right? You are doing good! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always, always do better when I weigh myself every single morning. When I stop weighing myself, I always gain some weight. You are such an inspiration to me, Gwen. Thank you. :-)

      Delete