Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Running in the dark

Well, it's already started.  Dark runs.  =/

Last week I went for a run when I got home, it was still light out when I left so I didn't think anything of it, but then mid-run I decided to change my 3 miles to 4 miles, and it was definitely dark by the time I got home.  Yesterday I went for 3 miles when I got home, and even though there was still some daylight when I left, I decided to put on my reflective vest thing and carry some pepper spray.  (I'm not sure why I only carry pepper spray when it's dark, but I do.)  I couldn't find the headlamp I used last year, I think it quit working, so I was without light.  I run on city streets, and for the most part they are lit up.  I just worry about cracks I can't see and tripping.  But my routes are very familiar to me, so I can usually avoid the worst of the cracks.

It makes me sad to run in the dark.  Just a few years ago, I refused to do it at all.  I even bought a treadmill ( I couldn't find the post about when I got my treadmill, so here's my post about when it lost it's luster, a whole 2 months after I bought it) to run in the dark on.  Now . . . well, it's buried in my garage under a ton of stuff.  It would take quite a while to dig it out. 

I only started running in the dark 2 years ago.  I guess I decided if I was going to outside and avoid my treadmill at all costs, that includes dark running.  I've even done a couple early morning runs in the dark now (just last year while training for my marathon and not having time in the evening).  Anyway,  just think how dark it will be next week after Daylight Savings time ends?  *Sigh* That means 3 month or so of running in the dark on the week days. 

This weekend I ran 6 miles on Sunday.  Sometimes I'm sad that I will most likely never say the words "my longest run ever" again.  I don't plan on being an ultra runner, someone who runs more than marathon distances, so it seems strange and a little sad that from now on I will always say "my longest run since . . ."  But 6 miles is my longest run since my sprained ankle.  I misjudged my distance when I went out, and ended up with a mile more to go before getting home.  I didn't really want to push it, so I asked Damian to come get me at my 6 mile point and he did.  I probably could have run 7 without consequence, but I was trying to be safe.  ; )

My weight has not been going down as quickly as I would have liked, but it is lower than it was 2 months ago, so that's good.

I continue to go to spin class with my sister.  However, our regular instructor got a new job and left and we haven't found another one that we like.  They are mostly men that are serious cyclists, so their idea of a good work out is to mumble into the mic "resistance up one notch" repeatedly, and then throwing in a random "we'll stay here for a minute (or 3 min)"  It's very boring lately.  I have loved hanging out with my sister once a week, even if we're just exercising and can't talk, but I don't know how much more of the boring spin classes we can take.  We may have to look at different options.

Oh, and have I mentioned I changed my hair?  I like it a lot. 
Halloween was . . . well, Halloween.  Maddox went as a Rubik's Cube, and was super cute.  He got a ton of candy and we got a ton of candy to "hand out" (not really, we don't get a lot of trick or treaters, we just wanted our favorite candies, I think I'll save some for Christmas). 



No comments:

Post a Comment