Thursday, February 26, 2015

Food choices

I am not someone that will probably ever give up certain foods.  I have restricted most foods that I think are not good for me, with the exception of wine.  I eat (or drink) very little sugar.  I eat very few breads or grains.  I drink very little diet Pepsi. I don't eat much fried food.  I know that these foods are foods (or drinks) that cause me to gain weight.

On my President's Day weekend trip, I ate more than my usual amount of fried foods.  We ate out every day for lunch, and my mom makes the best chex mix (which she calls Scrabble) (that is the link to what I think is pretty close to her recipe).  It is very salty, and high in grains and I love it.  This is the only time she ever makes it (for our February trip) so I tend to eat a lot of it, we all do. I ate ice cream 2 times and didn't drink a ton of water.

I gained weight on President's Day weekend.  Quite a bit more than I thought I would.  I left on Friday weighing right around 146, and came home on Monday (weighed myself Tuesday morning) and weighed 152.8.  And then I didn't lose it all in one week like I expected.  I figured the gain was a combination of things, eating out a lot, high salt foods (Scrabble, potato chips[which I don't even care for that much]), fried foods (from eating out) and not drinking enough water. Oh and don't forget the ice cream. (My family doesn't drink much so that wasn't an issue, although my "favorite" sister and I probably had a little too much on Saturday night, but not a ton.) (I had more to drink on Super Bowl Sunday.)

Anyway, this Monday I was still sitting around 149 (I was happy to not see 15X).  Happily today I weight 146.2 (I'm so happy).

But why did it take a week and a half to get back to what I was before I left?  Well, coming back from vacation where you allow yourself to eat crappy food makes you want to continue to eat crappy food.  I brought home some of my mom's Scrabble, so I continued to eat that.  I had chocolate (everywhere) and I ate that.  And on top of that, on Tuesday when I went to work the Girl Scout cookies I had ordered had arrived.  It was hard to rein in the eating.

I finally bought myself some salad mix and started bringing salad to work every day.  Plus, I started to make it for dinner as well (as a side).  I finished off the Scrabble (how could I throw it away?) and gave the chips to Maddox.

So next year, what would I do differently?  Honestly, probably not much.  The nature of these trips is that we always eat out for lunch because we are always out sight-seeing or window shopping.  We always bring our own breakfasts (I brought my eggs) and we always cook our dinners.  I will continue to eat my Mom's Scrabble, and I will continue to eat ice cream.

What I can do differently is not continue it after I get home.  I know that once you start eating certain foods, your body craves them.  I am not addicted to food like some people, and I don't have an unhealthy relationship with food.  I just let serving sizes get too big.  Or eat too much of something. Or allow myself 3 pieces of chocolate instead of 1 . . . or 2 or 3 every day instead of a few times a week.

I have flirted with the idea of going no grains/no sugar for a while, and while I feel that is probably a good way to be, there are some things that I don't want to give up, and since I don't have an unhealthy relationship with food, I don't feel that I can't control it.  If I eat one donut (or even a half a donut) I am good with that and won't go back for 2nds or 3rds.  And honestly, donuts are probably the biggest trigger food I have (trigger for me being I can't say no and could potentially sit down and eat a dozen on my own)(which I never have.)

This post was not meant to go the way it is about to go.  However, while I was typing I remembered that a friend of mine is an advocate for eating disorder awareness and she has done several posts on FB about it.

This week is National Eating Disorders Awareness week.  Eating disorders come in many different forms.  Anorexia and Bulimia are the two that most people associate with eating disorders, but overeating, binge eating is also a disorder.  

Body image problems, disordered eating and full-blown eating disorders are common among athletes. Though most athletes with eating disorders are female, male athletes are also at risk—especially those competing in sports such as wrestling, bodybuilding, gymnastics, and running, which tend to place an emphasis on the athlete’s diet, appearance, size, and weight requirements.  (I stole this from my friend on Facebook.)

Thankfully I do not have this problem, but if you do or know someone who does, please, get help.


No comments:

Post a Comment