Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Running

After my really long post last week, I was going to follow up right after with one more specific to running, but obviously that didn't happen.

I decided last week that I was going to try to increase my miles again.  The last time I tried I increased the number of days I did it, so I was running 3 miles every other day and one 4 mile day on the weekend.  Well, my feet didn't like that very much, even after just one week, so I went back to every 2 days.   I try to run Friday or Saturday and Sunday, so that makes 3 days a week, with 3 miles Wed. and Friday/Saturday and 4 miles on Sunday.  I have found that this is gives my feet enough time to heal between runs so that I don't push them too much.  And even though I'm running 2 days in a row sometimes, giving it two days to heal (Monday and Tuesday) makes it okay.

Anyway, I was thinking that I'd like to start increasing mileage again, but maybe the every other day thing is not a good idea yet, so I decided to just increase my mileage on the days I am already running.  At first I decided to try to do 4 miles on Wednesday, 3 miles on Fri/Sat and then 5 miles on Sunday, that would put me at 12 miles a week, which is only 2 more than what I was.  Then I changed my mind and decided to go slower.

Last week I ran 3.5 miles 2 times and 4.5 miles on Sunday.  I am super happy to report that my feet don't bother me at all, well, at least not more than they were (so far).  I will continue this for a little while and see how it goes.

Have you heard about the crazy weather we are having here?  I'm sure everyone's heard about the crazy snow and freezing temperatures on the east coast, but the west coast is just as crazy . ..  but in the opposite direction.  We've had 60 degree weather here at times.  The trees are budding, daffodils are blooming, I even saw some mosquitoes this weekend at my house (they're going to be so bad this year).  It is only February.  It feels like April here.

After my run on Sunday


On Saturday Damian had spent the night at a friend's house so I had to go pick him up in Mount Vernon (remember I moved to the neighboring town of Burlington).  Anyway, I decided to take Maddox and Damian to a park in M.V. (there is only one park in Burlington and it sucks, there are 5 (at least) in M.V. and 4 of them are in walking distance (although 2 are a bit of a walk).  I decided to take them to the park I used to run to over the summer where I would let Maddox play for a little bit before running home.  I left them at the park to play while I ran parts of my old running route.  (I really, really, really, really - did I say REALLY - miss my old running route.)  It's all in neighborhoods in M.V. and I love looking at the houses.  I haven't done a ton of exploring through neighborhoods in Burlington, mainly because the neighborhood I live in is small, and to get to any of the cool ones is longer of a run than I've been doing.

Anyway, it's amazing how hilly M.V. is compared to Burlington, and I didn't even do any of the hills that I used to, just the "flat" parts.  Don't get me wrong, they're still fairly flat, but they definitely have more long, gradual inclines.  It was nice though.  I really enjoyed my run on Sunday.  I ran 4.72 miles and felt great afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment