Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Divergent attitudes

I definitely need new shoes.  I know I talked about this last week, but I noticed this weekend and today that I have shin splints again.  Shin splints used to be the bane of my existence, but since switching to a more forefooted run, they have pretty much disappeared.  In fact, I didn't even realize they were gone until they were back.  (Isn't that weird?)  It used to be that I constantly had shin splints.  My family knew that touching my shins was the worst thing you could do, not to even go into actually bumping or hitting them (on accident).  They would get worse whenever I got new shoes, and then they'd get better for a few blissful weeks, then they'd rear their ugly head again when my shoes got too many miles on them.  Shin splints was always the way I knew I needed new shoes.

Well, I noticed them this weekend.  And honestly, they are more like what they felt like when they "got better" than when they were really bad.  But still annoying.  I've been so focused on my feet lately that I had completely forgotten that I used to struggle with constant shin splints.

Anyway, it just goes to show you what you get used to.

I actually don't have a lot to talk about today.  I am cutting back on my running until I get new shoes.  I don't need my feet to complain anymore.  I'm done with the hurt feet.  Last week I ran only 6 miles.  This week I intend to run more but probably not that much, probably close to 9 or 10.

Yesterday I sat at my desk non-stop for 8 hours.  I got up here and there to get water, go to the bathroom, move from a training back to my desk, but I sat all.day.long.  Plus, the 50 min drive to work and then 50 min back home.  So basically I sat for 11 hours, almost straight yesterday.  I need to figure out a way to avoid that.  I got home and just couldn't stand the thought of sitting down on the couch.  In fact, I paced the house for an hour or so before I finally sat down to dinner.  I need to figure out some way to be able to stand at my desk sometimes while I work.  I used to do that at my old job, and it felt nice to stand for awhile.  I had a short blurb about it in one of my posts awhile ago (Sitting Disease).

My current job is working with people in a therapeutic (well, so was my last job, but this one is a little different) and I have a cubicle at the courthouse (which I rarely use).  Anyway, the other day I left my phone on and at my desk at the courthouse while I was away from my desk.  I came back and noticed I had several Facebook notices.  My FB notification tone is a very loud whistle and I felt bad, so I went to the desks behind mine and apologized to those people for my loud phone.  Anyway, one of the girls behind me doesn't have a chair.  Her whole set up is for standing.  I thought that was pretty cool.  =)


Today I was reading the paper and there was an article about milk and how sales are declining.  There was one part that made me chuckle . . .
For whatever reason, the term "divergent attitudes about nutrition" just gave me a laugh.  I like milk and actually have started drinking more whole milk (started buying it for Maddox) but it just highlights the thoughts on how going against traditional diets is so frowned upon.

Well, enough of my ramblings.  Have a great day!!

1 comment:

  1. funny. Only time I used to drink milk was with Ding Dongs. And those days are long over. But I love cheese, and that ain't going away anytime soon. Thanks for sharing, and good luck with the splints and getting new shoes!

    ReplyDelete