Friday, January 23, 2015

New shoes

I haven't posted this week because I haven't had a lot to say.

I will say I need new shoes.  I've needed new shoes for awhile.  My current pair I bought in June right before I was laid off from my job.  I bought them at that time because, well, I needed new ones, but also because I knew I wouldn't be able to get new ones for awhile since I was being laid off.  Then I cut way back on my running and thought that I would be able to get by until I got a job (I was fully expecting to be working by October).  Then I quit running in October, so I thought it was okay because I didn't have a job, but I wasn't running either.

Well, I've had a job for over a month and a half and I still haven't gotten new shoes.  I started running again in December, and I definitely can feel that I need new ones.  I am at about 325 miles on them.  They say that you should replace your shoes every 300-600 miles, and I've noticed throughout the years that I tend to need to replace them on the low side of that.  I try to replace shoes every 300 miles, so I'm definitely due.

Last week I did 13 miles, the longest mileage week since September, and I definitely have been feeling it in the feet.  So I don't know if it's the needing shoes, or the high mileage, probably both, but I cut back this week.  I am hoping to get new shoes next week and I'll see how it goes from there.

This week I've only run 3 miles so far (oh my word, I thought I ran on Sunday, so I thought I was at 6 or 7 miles . . . I can't believe Tuesday was my only run this week, well damn).  I was planning on running yesterday but by the time I got home I was exhausted and the thought of running just made me want to cry.  Then Chris handed me a glass of wine and I was sold, so no run for me last night. I took a bath instead.  That does mean that I have to run today.  That will put me at 6 miles (and I don't want to run 2 days in a row, so after going from my high of 13, I'm now going to be at only 6 for the week).

Maybe it's for the better, maybe I need to let my feet heal more.  I know they have definitely bothered me more this week than they have for awhile.  It is probably also the shoes . . . so it might not be a bad thing to just let it be until I get new ones and see how my feet feel after that.

Speaking of new shoes . . . I read Runs for Cookies the other day and she had a q & a post with the founder of Altra Running shoes.  It made me think that maybe I'd try those shoes and see how they work.  I have not found a pair of shoes that I absolutely love.  I've had a couple that I liked enough to buy a second time, but I haven't become a "lifetime" shoe buyer of any yet.  It'd be nice to know what shoe I was going to get and just get them every time.

Well, I seem to have rambled enough for one post.  Below is a quote from a fitness page that I like on Facebook.  A friend of mine is an instructor for Stick-It Fitness and she shared this post, which I absolutely needed to hear.

"A tremendously beautiful thing happens when your body finally reaches a healthy weight:
You can eat a little more, and you don't gain weight, and you can eat a ...little less, and not lose weight.
At first glance you might think that's a bad thing, but let me tell you that it's GREAT. It means your body is doing exactly what it's designed to, it's allocating calories properly and working efficiently to maintain homeostasis (aka happy place).
Where people run into problems is when their body's happy place and their own idea of a goal weight is not the same thing. If you find your body very resistant to move up or down on the scale and you're at a healthy weight for your height, it might be time to just enjoy it and focus on training related goals instead. Better yet, toss the scale completely and just enjoy all that your healthy body has to offer!"

By the way . . . Did you hear?!?!?!


Yep, the Seahawks are going back to the Super Bowl!  =)  Which just goes to show you . . .


Because, I'll be honest, they looked TERRIBLE for the first 3 1/2 quarters of the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment