Thursday, October 17, 2013

I ran . . .

and it felt GREAT! 

I went for a short run yesterday.  My idea was to go at least 2 miles, and I wanted to do 3, but didn't want to push it.  I wanted to do a fairly flat route, but as I have said before, I don't have many options for flatness close to home.  Chris told me to go run the walking path down the street, as that is the flattest there is, but it can also be a dangerous path as there are gangs in that area.  I do run that path (or did) about once a week for my long run, but never walk or run that path at or near dark.  (It is a popular path on nice sunny days, so I'm not too worried about it during the day.)  (Anyway, Chris told me to take my pepper spray, so I did.) 

The day was a little chilly, I haven't run since the beginning of Sept. and it was still warm here.  I dressed a little lighter than I should have, but I felt okay after the first mile.  I found my grove and just ran.  I was trying to be mindful of how I placed my feet because the dr did tell me that I need to change my stride to more of a midfoot stride, but I just don't know how that's supposed to feel or look.  I felt kinda like I was trying to run on my toes, which isn't good either. 

It felt fantastic.  I didn't feel winded, I felt like I could have gone farther.  I didn't have to stop and walk at all.  I thought I was going slower than my normal pace, but when I got home I looked at my time and it was actually 8.36 min/mile, which was the exact same pace as my last short run before my half.  It wasn't 3 miles, but it was a good distance for my first run in a month.

 
Chris and I were planning on going shopping right after I got back so I put on my most supportive shoes and off we went.  I didn't feel a twinge in my foot at all while we were walking around.  And my mood . . . let me tell you about my mood.  I felt fabulous!  I felt refreshed and was in a GREAT mood.  It felt awesome.  I wish that other forms of exercise give me the same high.  I don't know what it is about running that gives me that high, but it truly is addictive.  I want to go running again today, but I'm not.  I need to take it slow, I don't want my foot to feel worse.
 
Today my foot is bothering me a little, but no more than it has for the last 4 days or so.  I'm okay with that.  I iced it yesterday after my run, which felt wonderful.  It isn't bad today, a little twinge or so here or there.  =) 
 
Another run tomorrow!  I'm excited!

2 comments:

  1. Hip hip hurray for being back in running shoes (and actually running!!!)

    ReplyDelete