Thursday, July 27, 2017

Thoughts

Does anyone else go back and read their own posts multiple times after posting, just to make sure everything makes sense and you agree with what you said?  Maybe it's just me, but I often do that, especially when I have a comment on a post.  I don't usually fix typos (my last post had several) but I'll fix things that I notice are really wrong or don't make sense.

Anyway, I had a comment on my last post and reread what I wrote and then looked at what Blogger decided to put at the bottom for "related posts" and noticed a post titled "Marathon training" which was the same title I used for my last post, so of course I clicked on it.  It was an interesting read, I was thinking about the cow that I talked about in that post just the other day (I now run that road on almost all my long runs that are between 8 and 13 miles). 

It was written in June of 2014, right after my second half marathon and right before I decided I needed to actually pay attention to the plantar faciitis pain and heal that before training for a marathon.  =)  Seeing that post led me to another one, one from 2 years ago while I was actually marathon training. 

This is the post where I talked about crying after my long run.  I had cut off part of my 20 mile run in the middle and ended up with a mile to go when I was thinking I was done.  I read that post where I talked about being so done I cried, and not being able to walk afterwards, then thought about and read about the run that I "broke into a church" to use the bathroom and ended up sitting on the toilet the rest of the day after the run, and then the run that I stopped with only 3 miles left (that was a 13 mile run) and wanted to die, but I finished that run.  All those posts were about bad runs, or at least they ended badly.  And even reading these posts, I still think about the good parts of the runs. 

You know why I missed my long runs last year as I drove past the road I ran on?  Because that road was at the beginning/middle part of my long runs, and that part is always good.  It is through the country and (as long as you look east to ignore the freeway on the other side) has a very pretty view.  The part of the long runs that I had trouble on is on the other side of the freeway, in the "uglier" side of town, through some industrial areas.  I don't go by that area.  It's easy to forget the bad when all I look at is the good. (What a good metaphor for life!)  (It's like giving birth and the reason women have more than one kid, once the bad is over, it's easy to forget.)  ; ) 

Anyway, this post is kinda all over the place.  I've been reminiscing a lot today.  I'm still debating actually doing another marathon, but the more I think about it, the more likely I'm going to actually do it. 

So that brings me to my last topic today (I think).  My hip hurts.  It's been bothering me a lot this week.  I have been assuming it's muscle related, being tight and not stretching properly, so I started stretching and foam rolling.  Yesterday it was really, really painful.  I did notice it hurt most while I was walking in my high heels, so I thought, maybe it's the heels.  Today I did not wear heels, and it does feel better, but it is still bothering me.  I haven't run since I was on the treadmill on Tuesday.  I have been thinking of running today to see how my hip is, but my sister tells me I need to give it a week.  The last time she told me that, she was completely right, but I just keep thinking about marathon training and that I'm supposed to run 14 miles on Sunday.

Sometimes when rereading old posts I hit on a significant event in my life.  I just read about my last days at my last job in 2014, and it made me sad.  I don't miss it as much as I used to, but I do still miss the coworker I worked closest with, who I haven't seen in 3 years.  I was hopeful that we would continue to be good friends, but I got a job south of where we worked, and she lives and got a job north of where we worked, and she doesn't answer my texts hardly at all, so we just don't talk anymore.  It's sad because we were pretty close for 4 years. 

1 comment:

  1. I love looking back at posts and reminiscing!!!! It sometimes makes things clear! :-)

    I agree with your sister...keep stretching but give it a week!!!!!

    ReplyDelete