Monday, June 23, 2014

Marathon training

This evening we are headed to eastern WA to see Chris's family.  Chris's sister had some difficulties about a month ago, and this is the first time we've been able to get over there.  We'll be over there until Thursday, so I don't know if I'll get another post in before I get back (very doubtful, because I don't think there's internet there).

Last week was a good week running-wise.  I ran 27.4 miles. 

Thursday Chris and I took Maddox for a walk.  He got a scooter for his birthday and he loved every minute of the walk.


The cupcakes I made for Maddox's birthday.  I think they
turned out great looking.  =)
Friday morning I went running with my old pastor.  She is a really fabulous person and I loved her as my pastor.  Our running schedules have never meshed so we have never ran together, well, I guess I did once a long time ago, but not since that one time.  It's interesting how people evolve running-wise.  When I ran with her a little less than 3 years ago she was faster than me, and I had a hard time keeping up with her.  On Friday, I wasn't winded at all.  In fact, she was quite a slow runner.  We did a couple small hills and I felt that I could have walked (fast) and kept up, but of course I didn't.  Running with her was not about the speed or the distance, but more about the company, and that was fabulous.  =)

Saturday I went to Lynnwood to hang out with my sister.  We did some shopping (I spent way too much at Goodwill, a consignment shop, and Old Navy, but did not buy the shoes I really, REALLY wanted at DSW).  When I got home I thought about skipping my run because I needed to make dinner, however, I decided to do 4 miles and I'm glad I did.

Before I left on Saturday I set up Maddox's "wading" pool.  It is much bigger than I thought it would be.  He played in it all morning, and I told Damian to let him continue to play until lunch.  This morning Maddox was up with Chris and I had to get up at 6:30am when Chris left.  Maddox was ready to go outside at 7.  We were out there by 7:30am and he was super excited to be in the pool. =)
I once again got Damian up early today so I could go for a run.  I was going to do 8 miles, but then remembered an add-on that I haven't done in awhile, so I figured I'd do it and see how many miles it would be, I figured 9, and I was right on.

While I was running, a car stopped at an intersection and I thought they were waiting for me, however, they never really looked at me, so I looked across the road and saw a cow out of it's pasture.  I jumped a little and they guys in the car laughed and said something to me (I didn't quite hear them and can't remember what my impression was).  I kept running, but once I got down the road a ways I thought I needed a picture so I stopped and took one.  The cow was following me.  =)  Cows don't scare or bother me, I grew up with them, but I thought it strange that it was following me.  However, it turned when it heard another "moooo" so I think it was just trying to find it's way back to the other cows.

I am planning on running in eastern WA.  I have to in order to get 100 miles for June.  Not sure what days, probably just Wednesday and take Tuesday and Thursday as my days off.

I almost forgot, today starts day one of marathon training.  Officially it's supposed to be a rest day, but because I'm thinking I'm going to take Tuesday off, I am going to run 5 miles today.  I don't know if I'll be following the plan I downloaded (Hal Higdon's) because it starts out with 3 miles, 5 miles, 3 miles, and 8 miles and that's not enough to get me to 100 miles a month, plus, I already run more than that.  So my plan (for now) is to follow the long run distances and maybe when I get higher in mileage I'll decrease my weekly runs to follow them (although they increase with the long run miles). 

I do like this training plan, and I like the idea of actually running 26 miles before the actual marathon.  I know that "traditional" thinking says if you can run 20 miles, you can run 26 miles, but 6 miles is a long distance to not actually run as part of your training.  I have a few weeks to officially decide as Hal Higdon's plan starts at less than what I am currently running, and the other one starts even less than Hal's. 

Another thing I almost forgot, as I write this I am wearing a size 6 pair of sorts from Old Navy. I do believe Old Navy's sizes run large, but how exciting that I have a pair of 6's and that are a little loose and very comfy! I didn't even wear 6 in high school. =)


1 comment:

  1. Maddox is getting so big! HE was so small when I started to read your blog! :-)

    I love the cow story...made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete