Monday, July 24, 2017

Marathon training

In January I decided that I wasn't going to talk about my weight anymore.  I am not super overweight, and really, I don't think anyone cares to hear about how much I obsess about it.  I have been very good at not talking about it on here, and I think I've even started to obsess less about it.  I note my weight and hate it, and move on.  I wish I could go back to the size 6 jeans that are in my closet, but right now I should be happy with the size 8 jeans I am wearing.

So that being said, I've been thinking about why I decided to train for another marathon.  There are two reasons.  The first one is simple and the one I tell everyone, I missed my long runs last summer.  I romanticized them in my head all last summer.  The road I ran on while training in 2015 runs right along the freeway, and so going to and from work, especially to work because it's so nice in the morning, I would think about how much I missed those runs.  I hated that I sprained my ankle last year and I hated that I wasn't running any more than 3 miles.  I guess as part of reason one is also that I do better with consistency when I have a goal race, and a marathon in Oct is perfect for summer running.

The second reason I decided to train for another marathon is more of a secret desire.  In 2015 when I was training I felt and looked my best.  I got to the closest I have been in close to 25 years to my (secret) goal weight of around 135, and got to the weight I tell everyone is my goal (140).  I guess I've been telling myself that if I train for another marathon, I will start losing weight again, and maybe I can get back down to 145, which is where I was happy, even though I still wanted to lose weight. 
Different lighting, different room (home vs. work) but I still think that in September of 2015 my face and collar looked smaller than today.  And I wish I could get back to that look from 2015. . .

When I started marathon training, or maybe when I started talking about it, Chris has started reminding me of all the bad runs I had, he even mentioned the run (or runs) I cried after.  I didn't have the best long runs.  In fact, I hated most of them.  And it's true that I dread my long runs, every week.  I dreaded having to run 13 miles yesterday, and already I'm dreading the 14 miles scheduled for this next Sunday.  So I'm not sure if I really want to run another marathon.  What's the point of running more than one?  I ran the first to say that I did it, why do I want to run the second other than missing runs that I actually hated, and wanting to lose weight I'm not sure I'll be able to?

40 is tough.  5 years ago when I started running I wished I had attempted to lose weight in my 20's, I bet it would have been easier and it would have fallen off faster.  Now I'm wishing it was 5 years ago again.  My weight lose journey has been slow, and frustrating.  And again, I'm only talking about the 30 lbs I wanted and have lost, not some astronomical number that blows people away.  But at least I felt like I was going somewhere 5 years ago, not this frustratingly stubborn 10lbs that won't get off my body.

Anyway, I will stop whining about it.

This year the marathon training plan I'm using is Hal Higdon's intermediate 2 plan, vs the one in 2015 that was Hal Higdon's beginner 1 or 2 (can't remember) plan.  It started me at 10 miles for my long run and it incorporates race pace runs.  I have never done a race pace run before, so I was pretty skeptical about it when I attempted it with my first 5 miles.  If I want to run under a 4 hour marathon, I have to run 9:09 min/miles, that seems impossible for 26.2 miles.  So that means that my race pace run needs to be at an average of 9:09 min/miles.

The training plan says that the run before the long run should be race pace, and the long run should be 30-90 seconds per mile slower.  I have actually been surprised with this.  I decided anything under 9:10 would be good for me for race pace, and my long runs no more than 60 seconds slower.  I've done 3 race pace runs, one 5 mile, and two 6 mile ones.  All of them have been under 9 min/miles.  5 miles was 8.39 and both 6 mile runs were 8.49.

I've been even more surprised by my long run times.  My first long run time was 10:04 min/mile for 10 miles, but all of them since have been under 10 min/miles.  In fact, yesterday's 13 miles was an average of 9.35 min/mile.  Looking at that on my calendar makes me happy. 
If you can see that, the red is the actual runs and the pencil is the training plan.  Maybe this is why I want to run another marathon, to beat my time from my first.  Maybe it's for the sense of accomplishment . . .
Seriously, after my run yesterday, my feet hurt so bad.  And my legs hurt.  And I have a hip problem that I don't know what to do about.  I've been stretching (not as consistently as I should) and I started foam rolling.  I guess I will see how that works for the next week and reevaluate if it doesn't start getting better. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a lot of soul searching!!!! Follow your heart!!!!! :-). And listen to your body and what your body wants and needs!!!!!

    ReplyDelete