Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Question and answer session with my son

About a week ago Shut Up + Run did these questions with her daughter.  I liked them and was curious how my son would answer so I asked him the other day.  Here's his response.

 Here’s what he said, he's 16  (the blue is my input).

1. What does your mom eat before a run?
An egg. (True. I eat at least 2 eggs every morning.  However, I don't run in the morning very often, so when I run in the afternoon I don't usually eat anything unless I'm starving, and then it's usually one egg.)
2. How far does your mom run everyday?
Average 6 miles, that includes a long run on the weekend.  But probably 5 miles a day.  (I have been running 3 miles daily with a long run of 6 miles until I just started my marathon training.)
3. What was your mom’s favorite race?
Half marathon  (I think my second half was my favorite, although I also was very proud of the Bloomsday I ran in 2014)

4. Why do you think your mom runs?
She enjoys it and wants to lose weight. (True and not true.  I do enjoy it, but I don't think the weight lose is an issue anymore, sure I'd love to lose more, but I doubt I will.  Now it's mostly not regaining the weight . . . and so I can drink wine.)
5. What injuries has your mom had from running?
Bee stings, dog bites, scrapes, plantar faciitis.  (All true, although I don't think I was actually bitten by a dog, just jumped on and my shirt was ripped.  I'm pretty sure I tore a muscle in my calf in 2012.)
6. Do you like going to your mom’s races?
At first he said it was okay as long as he didn't have to watch Maddox and then he said "boring, you're just standing around watching people, waiting for the person you came with to cross the finish line.  (And as much as I want someone to cheer me one at races, I completely understand his point of view.)

My first 5k that I made him go to.
7. Does having a mom who runs make you want to run?
No, not necessarily, I like sprints. (I have periodically tried to get him to run with me, and he hates it, so I stopped)
8. What have you learned from having a mom who runs?
Try to avoid things (I think he's talking about bees, dogs, neighbors) Pace yourself.  (True, if a bit superficial.)
9. What is your least favorite thing about having a mom who runs?
Having to watch my brother.  (I knew he was going to say that before he said it.)
10. Do you think you’ll run when you are your mom’s age? (38)
Not sure, when it's time we'll see.  I'll see how my life turns out. (I think he will because we talk all the time about the importance of staying healthy and active.  I have told him that I was very active in high school like he is and then when I graduated wasn't and gained a lot of weight.  He doesn't want to gain weight, so I think {hope} he'll remember our conversations and will take up something when he's older, and what better sport to take up then running?)

No comments:

Post a Comment