Thursday, July 2, 2015

9 miles, oh my!

Last weekend I had a second interview, and then we went to Lake Padden for Chris's birthday.  He invited a bunch of his friends (after all, it was his birthday) and I invited one friend (I needed someone to talk to).  I had met all of them (Chris's friends) at least once, but wasn't very comfortable with most.  And then my friend text me to say that she was sick and couldn't come.  =(  Anyway, for the most part, I had a good time and I think Chris did too. 


Sadly, the only picture of Chris I took.
The rest of the weekend I just sat outside and enjoyed the sun.  It has been very warm here (I always hesitate to say hot because it's nothing compared to places like eastern WA where it was 112 yesterday but it's hot for this area).  It was a record setting June here.  3 degrees hotter than the last hottest June from 1992.
Frozen cherries as ice cubes.
 Well, I guess that on Sunday Chris got a call saying his brother, who is in the Army and stationed in California, was at his mom's house in Bellingham, so we went there after he got off work and hung out for the evening.  His brother is getting married next year, so we met his fiancĂ©e. 

I LOVE our house.  We got an air conditioner last year from a yard sale (they said it had only been used for one year) and we have found that we don't really need it at our new house.  It is warm, and it would be nice on some evenings, but there's a ceiling fan and then with all the windows and the sliding door open it keeps the living room fairly cool.  Plus, the kitchen is on the west side of the house, and that is where the sun beats down (it does get hot in there) but the living room is sorta insulated.  Plus, we have a big deck, so we can go sit outside on that if it gets too warm.  It really is nice.  Even though we were only in the Burlington house for 6 months, in the winter/spring months, there were a few days where it was warm, and that house was really hot, so maybe that's another positive for having to move again.  (I really am seeing more and more positives to the move back to Mt. Vernon than staying in the Burlington house, even though it was bigger.) 

Last week was a scale back week in my marathon training.  My long run was only 5 miles.  It's been so warm in the evening that I haven't wanted to run after work. On Tuesday I decided to skip my run and get up early on Wednesday to run.  It is so hard for me to get up, but I did.  I set my alarm for 4:30am, and was out the door by 4:45ish after drinking a little bit of water and eating a hard boiled egg.  I am usually pretty slow in the morning and my first mile was slower than normal, but then I sped up (it was the egg kicking in) and all 3 miles averaged under 9 min/mile. 

Then I saw that today is supposed to be hotter than yesterday so I set my alarm again and told myself to get up.  In fact, I set 5 alarms . . .  and ignored them all until the last one.  At 4:30 I thought about it and decided I just do my run tomorrow.  Then at 4:50 (the last alarm) I thought, if I do my run tomorrow I'll end up running 3 days in a row and I've been trying to avoid that. I thought maybe I'd run this evening, but it's supposed to be even hotter today so I jumped out of bed and left for my run.  I think it was a record for how fast I got out of the house.  I was walking out the door at 5am.  I am glad I did, it's already 73 degrees and it's only 9:30am.

This week my long run jumps to 9 miles.  I'm fairly worried about it.  I haven't run 9 miles since last June.  I haven't even run 8 miles since last July (7/13/2014).  I definitely won't be as fast as I was a year ago.  My 3 mile runs are close to 9 min/miles, sometimes a little under, but not usually.  Last year (6/22/2014 to be exact) my 9 mile run averaged 9.18 min/mile.  I don't think that will happen on Sunday. 

I need to remember to buy some sort of energy chews.  I haven't had a long enough run to need energy chews in so long that I no longer have any.  And 9 miles is definitely past the point of needing them. 

Wish me luck!  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment