Monday, June 8, 2015

Weekend beauty

This week is the official beginning of marathon training.  However, this week's runs will look a lot like my last 2 months of running.  3 days of 3 miles and a long run of 6 miles.  Exactly what I've been doing for awhile now.  But that's okay.  I picked this training plan exactly because it started right where I was and I wanted to ease into it slowly with my feet issues.  I am doing Hal Higdon's Novice 1 program, although, I added two weeks to it.  I added a long run of 24 miles two weeks after Hal has his 20 mile run.  I honestly just don't understand how you can only run 20 miles and say that you are ready for 26.2, there's a whole 'nother 10K after 20 miles!  I was actually talking to my sister, who doesn't run, about this, and she was the one that suggested just adding another long run of 24-26 miles, so I did. 

I am a little worried about my feet.  They still bother me occasionally, which is extremely frustrating.  I would like to be going into this training confident that they won't flair up and cause me to stop training again like I had to last year.  I worry that I didn't give them enough time to heal, because in reality, I only gave them two months (the hardest months ever!).  I did ease back into running, and whenever they started bothering me again would decrease back to where I wasn't hurting.  I've been doing that since December.  I went from running 30 miles a week to no miles to slowly (over 6 months) building up to 15 miles a week.  I hope it's enough.

Last week I decided I really wanted to do a run longer than 3 miles on Saturday.  It was a beautiful day and I wanted to add some more scenery, so I set out with an idea of where I was going, and the thought that it would be around 4 miles.  Turns out it was 5 miles. The problem with living where I do right now, is that it is so close to where I used to live.  In fact, it is along the route of most of my old running routes, right at the end of the route.  So all distances I have in my head of my old routes are from my old house, and they are about 0.3 miles off.  I try to remember that I'm cutting my run short because I'm stopping sooner than I used to, so I try to compensate by adding just a little.  On Saturday that compensation was a mile.  It may take me a little while to figure out the new mileage from my new house because I did my old routes from my old house for so long.

After my run on Saturday I took Damian with me to get pedicures.  He asked me a couple weeks ago if he could go with me the next time I went and I said yes.  He likes the massage chair and getting his feet rubbed.  I think it's awesome that he wants to do it with me.  :-)
Sunday I ran 6 miles.  I briefly thought about skipping it because I did 5 on Saturday, plus the training says that Sunday is a cross training day.  However, I think I've decided to keep with my current schedule of running.  Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.  I guess if I need an extra day off right after my long runs, I'll switch it up, but for now this seems to be working with my feet., gives them a rest between most runs. 

After my run I got my nails done, hyper color nails, they get darker when they get cold, I think they are awesome.  And then I went and got the oil changed in my car.  The technician flirted with me pretty heavily.  He was good looking too, although younger than me (even better).  :-)

I am still yoga-ing in the morning.  Although,  I'm finding weekend yoga is much harder.  I love running on the weekend, but not yoga so much.  If I don't do it right away in the morning, I don't do it, and I like my weekend morning of coffeetime and the Bravo shows that Chris won't let me watch while he's around.  Today was hard to get up as well.  I almost skipped it, but then I remembered how badly I want to be flexible and how I have a tendency to quit.  If I had continued yoga a year ago (or so) think of where I'd be now.  Definitely not starting over again.  So with those thoughts in my head I drug myself out of bed and did 20 min of yoga.

I think my biggest problem is that I've gotten bored with my go-to 20 min yoga youtube video and I haven't been able to find another one that is only 20 min.  I found one today, but she was kinda weird, very "new age" in her way of talking (Is that still a term, or am I showing my age?) and she didn't explain the moves very well, so I had to watch her do it, and then by the time I was in position she was moving to the next one.  I guess I need to look for videos sometime other than 5am when I'm trying to get started so that I can be done in time.  :-)

I'm going to leave you with a bunch of pictures from this weekend.  It really was beautiful outside.

  Pedicure time with Damian. :-)
 

 Saturday night winetime that turned into Saturday night firetime, with wine.  :-)
From my run on Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment