Friday, June 12, 2015

Memory lane

2015 marks my 20 year anniversary from graduating high school.  I'm getting old.  I'm sure I've mentioned it before, I went to school in a very small farming town in eastern WA.  Very small.  15 people in my graduating class.  I was not close to most of the people in my high school.  I had 2 very good friends, and a couple other people I considered friends, but that was it. 
I'm the blond on the far right, my bestest friend is right
behind me with short brown hair
The town is so small that they have a community Alumni Banquet, where anyone that has ever graduated from Lind can come to the Banquet, but they only "honor" classes every 10 years.  So my class was "honored" this year.  Several months ago I asked my classmates on Facebook that I'm "friends" with if anyone was planning on going to the Alumni Banquet, everyone said no, or don't know.  So I didn't go either. 

My hometown also has the only Combine Demolition Derby in America (or at least I think it is, I know if there are others they were copied from Lind).  This started in 1989, the town's centennial year and it's grown quite huge.  People have come from the eastern US to see the Derby (no joke). 

Anyway, a few people asked me if I was going to this year's derby and I wasn't sure at the time.  I think it would have been fun to schedule a class reunion for the weekend of the derby, but nothing ever was scheduled.  This weekend is the derby and I'm not going.  Honestly, it's not as fun for locals who have moved away and come back anymore because it's gotten so big and you don't really see people you know anymore. 

It's weird to think that I graduated high school 20 years ago.  It doesn't seem that long ago.  And yet, it seems like a different lifetime.  My bestest friend, I haven't talked to her in years.  We were BFF's before BFF was a popular term, we were inseparable from kindergarten to 12th grade.  It was "Lisa and Cathy" or "Cathy and Lisa," never just one of us, but always both.  Her birthday is Feb 2nd and her old phone number is 509-677-3263 (don't call it, who knows who has it now, I know it's not her parents since they don't live there anymore). 

Funny the things you remember. 

Funny how the people in your life that were once so important to you fade away as you get older.

Funny how life turns out. 

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean! I'm hitting 25 years from high school this year and it's unbelievable to me! I haven't heard about any reunion....so I must be disinvited (no biggie as I wasn't close to many people from high school anyway. Hahaha



    ReplyDelete