Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Week one done

Week 1 of marathon training is finished.  I actually ended up running one mile less than the training calls for, but I had a good reason.  =)  Last week at work was one of the hardest I’ve had in a very long time and Friday was the worst.  I won’t go into any details because this is public, but it was a really, really bad week and Friday was horrible. 

On my way home from work on Friday I actually cried, I haven’t done that in a very long time, and the last time I did I changed jobs as soon as I could find another.  I was thinking that I couldn’t wait to get home to the bottle of wine I had waiting, and then I realized that wine wasn’t really what I wanted.  Alcohol would only make me depressed and I decided I didn’t think that was the way to unwind.  So I decided that I wanted a really, really hard run.

When I got home I got dressed and went for a run.  And then I decided, while I was running, that I would do hill repeats.  I have never done hill repeats, I’ve heard they are hard, and I guess I figured I ran enough hills in my normal runs that I don’t need to do repeats.  But on Friday I needed the hardness of that type of run.  I ran the hill at the beginning of my normal runs, I ran it 2 times and then decided I needed a needed a hill that didn’t have a stoplight in the middle of the hill.  The hill that I chose was longer and steeper, I did that hill 4 times and thought I was done.  I collapsed at the top of the hill after my 4th time and had to sit for a minute because my legs felt like jelly.  It was at a fairly busy intersection and I got a few looks, but I really didn’t care.  I was able to take a picture of myself, though.  As I was walking down the hill towards home, I decided I wasn’t done and ran the first hill 3 more times. 

It was a good workout, but I was a little disappointed that it wasn’t harder.  I was still able to walk home and I wasn’t sore at all the next few days afterwards.  I feel like that means I wasn’t working hard enough.  But I did get home in a much, much better mood.  I was able to put aside the week and have a decent evening.

Anyway, because I did the hills on Friday, which was only 2 miles, I didn’t do the scheduled 3 miles on Saturday.  I did 6 miles on Sunday and that was the end of my first week of marathon training.  It feels weird and a little wrong to say last week was the first week of marathon training, when I didn’t run any more than I normally have been and actually less than the week before.  Next week I add one mile to my long run, so not much added but that’s okay.  I wanted the lower start mileage so that I didn’t reinjure my feet.
Week one done.
And then there is this video of Damian doing pushups.  I want to be like him when I grow up.  =)

1 comment:

  1. It may be one mile less but you completed it and you pushed yourself to do something you don't typically do. As for the 'hard factor'. Don't cut yourself short...how often do you collapse in the middle of a run (as you did after the last time up the big hill??? Yup...never. :-).

    As for Damian? These gymnastics kids blow my mind. My niece is the same way...if I could have half of her muscle strEngth that she has obtained through gymnastics if be happy.

    ReplyDelete