Tuesday, February 25, 2014

President's Day weekend trip

I had this half typed up last week and then I got super busy and then sick, so I didn't ever come finish it.  Sorry I've been such a flake at posting this month.  =(

I told you about Maddox's traumatic accident last week, but I forgot to mention what we think he fell on.  At first I thought he fell on a wooden toy holder that is close to the bed, but after looking at it when we got home, there is no way that caused the type of "laceration" (ER's word) to his chin/jaw.  After looking closer, we think he hit the metal frame that the box springs sits on on the bed.  There is a part of it that was exposed right next to where he was sitting when I found him. 

 President's Day weekend we went to Long Beach, WA.  It was a lot of fun and I didn't take very many pictures.  My sister from North Carolina and her husband and 2 year old son came over as well.  Her son and Maddox got along great.  It was so fun to watch them playing together.  Maddox is definitely an adventurous boy and taught A.J. a few new ways to get into trouble.  (Damian was the same way.)

Picking up some audiobooks
before leaving for the drive.
Sunday, first day we braved the beach.

Monday before leaving.  Chris says "it's not going to the
ocean if you don't get your feet wet."  I think he's crazy.
 
I was really excited about checking out the Long Beach Discovery Trail that Kristen had mentioned to me when I first brought up going to Long Beach.  Friday before we left I got up early and went for a 4 mile run, "knowing" that I would run 4 miles on Saturday and reach 25 miles for the week (perfect).  Well, Saturday, I woke up about 7am and thought about going running right away, however, I talked myself out of it.  I KNEW there was a predicted wind/rain storm and I decided it "wouldn't be that bad" and I would run in the afternoon.  That was a stupid thought, one I should have ignored.  65 mph wind gusts . . .  Yeah, a run didn't happen.

Then I decided, and even talked to my sister, that I would run Sunday morning before breakfast.  However, we then decided that another afternoon in town in a wind/rain storm was not going to happen, so we decided that we would go into town right after breakfast and spend the morning wandering around and then eat lunch there and come back to the house for the afternoon.  Guess what?  I didn't get up early enough to go for a run before breakfast.  This time I decided that was fine, while Maddox was napping I would go to the fitness center I had seen and run on the treadmill.  Just to make sure I could, we stopped on the way into town, and of course, closed on Sunday . . . So, no run on Sunday.
 
We stopped at the ER again before heading home to get his stitches out. I had been a little worried because the wound was really red and a little puffy, but the ER nurse said that is normal. It was his body's way of trying to get rid of the stitches. 
 
Okay . . . so, I'll definitely run on Monday.  We're headed home, we should get home early enough for me to go run before dark.  And then we had some slow traffic going through Seattle . . . had to make several stops for lunch/gas/etc.  By the time we got home, it was 4pm, and we had to go to the ER to get Maddox's stitches removed, then to the store.  Didn't get home till 6pm . . . dark . . . no run.
 
Tuesday, rain and wind.  I decided I HAD to run.  I didn't WANT to run, but I was GOING TO.  I would run on the treadmill, which I have successfully avoided most of the winter.  I didn't want to run on the treadmill, but I figured it would be better than the wind.  Luckily, when I got home, the wind had died down.  I was still worried about it, and actually really, really didn't want to run.  I went running, 5 miles.

I have discovered that the longer I go without running, the harder it is for me to go for a run.  However, every time I run after a long break, the better I feel.  I felt GREAT after that run.  3 days is entirely too long for me to go without a run.  But the feeling afterwards is awesome.
 
If you notice my ticker at the top of my page, I am only at 67 miles for Feb.  There is no way I will be able to run 33 miles in the next 3 days.  So I will NOT meet my goal of 100 miles in Feb.  Lots of reasons why, am I disappointed? Yes, but I know there's nothing I can do (or could have done) about it.
 
More about this last weekend and my reasons I didn't make 100 miles later (hopefully not a week later, I will try to post tomorrow again).

No comments:

Post a Comment