Monday, October 12, 2015

My last longest run ever until the marathon

Run on cruise control. Do a mental check during the early miles and midway through the race. “You should feel relatively comfortable up until mile 18,” he says. “You should be able to get to that point comfortably, then you have to go to work and see how tough you are. At that point, it’s all about what you have left.”  Found here. 
 
Every marathon has moments when the effort starts to feel uncomfortable. Backing off from physical discomfort for self-preservation is a natural human tendency, but one of the characteristics that makes runners unique is their penchant for seeking out discomfort. Hitting a rough patch in the race is when you learn about yourself and what you’re willing to do to meet your goal.  Found here

So before my long run last week I decided to do a search on what I should eat (and not eat) the day before a marathon.  I found some very helpful articles with those two quotes in them.  I was feeling better after reading those two things.  A lot better, a lot more confident.  I thought that knowing that it's hard for everyone, I could push myself to get it done.  I was wrong.

The above excerpts were some things that I read that I thought would be helpful mentally for me on my 24 miles I had planned.  I was thinking that I was mentally prepared to push myself farther than I ever had before, especially after reading those quotes.  I am a runner, I have pushed myself before, but apparently not as much as I needed to get 24 miles done.  How in the world will I be able to run 26.2 miles??
 
I have been passing "Donald" the elephant and his Peanut wagon on my long runs for a couple weeks.  As I was passing him on my "24" mile run, I thought that this may be the last time I run past Donald, and I wanted a picture. =)

If you can see my split times, you can see where I started to fall apart.  Right around mile 19, which is actually what the quote above says. (Oh, and the battery on my phone died about a half mile from where I actually ended, so it was actually 22.5ish miles)  My moving time is pretty close to where I wanted to be, however, I stopped to use the bathroom and Chris refilled my water bottle at mile 13, so I was actually out there for about 4 hours.  Plus, I stopped to walk many times in the second half of my run. 

I started getting a cramp in my side about mile 16, so I'd stop and walk. I think it was around mile 19 that I was feeling really sorry for myself and every time I started walking I'd start crying.  And then I'd pick myself up and start running again.  It was horrible. 
 
This was my long run treat, but I honestly didn't feel like I deserved it.  Sure I ran 22.5 miles and burned 2.800+ calories, but I didn't finish 24 miles and I felt like a failure. 
However, even though my "24" miles was a "failure" I still officially registered for the marathon on Friday.  I am terrified, and don't know if I'll be able to finish, but it's official.  I've told every single person I know, and some I don't, that I am running this thing, so I kinda have to. 

This particular marathon has a cutoff of 5 hours and I'm rather worried about that.  Can I finish another 4 miles in an hour? Normally 4 miles is easy, but the last 4 miles of a marathon??  I don't know if I can do it.   
 
Immediately after registering for the marathon I bought a couple magnets for my car.  My current 13.1 says "13.1 cuz I'm only half crazy" and I can't say that after running 26.2, so of course I had to get a new one. =) 
 
I went to happy hour with an old coworker after work on Friday, and she asked me about my marathon training.  When she was younger (she's in her late 50's now, but when she was in her 20's) she ran 4 marathons, all of them were the same marathon in Hawaii where she was living.  She said she has a new goal to run it next year with her daughter.  Anyway, she said that she ran it 6 months after she gave birth to her first kid and the whole time she thought her insides were going to fall out.  But even during that horrible marathon she ran it under 5 hours.  She made me feel a little better. 
 
Also, the CEO of the agency I work for (a very small agency, so I see her all the time) was doing the Chicago marathon this last weekend (yesterday).  She has struggled with injuries all summer and even though her dr and physical therapist told her not to do it, she was going to walk it.  She's not back to work until Oct. 22, so I can't ask her how it went, but I can't wait to find out.
 
So after hearing about both of those people I have to push myself.  I have to do it.  I HAVE to.
 
(I started this post last week and didn't finish it, so I will write another one about this weekend's runs since this one is so long now.)

1 comment:

  1. Kick the fear in the teeth! You have done the work. Those extra two miles were because of the fear...NOT because the training schedule told you that you needed them. They were put there because of your fear. (How long ago was that post where you talked about it?????)

    You've got this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete