Thursday, May 19, 2016

Disaster

Where to start?  Last week was a good running week.  I ran 22 miles.  After not running on Sunday, I decided to run on Monday, even though that is my usual rest day, but I didn't run on Sunday so felt that I had to run Monday.  I also ran on Tuesday and Thursday, and 9 miles on Saturday. 

My Saturday run went well.  I had one Nuun left from my marathon training, so I used that in my water bottle and mostly felt good.  I was tired, but honestly, it was a good run overall.  It was not a fast run, 9:50 average min/mile. 
As of this week (yesterday to be exact) I have one month until the Seattle Rock 'n' Roll Half.  My plan for my long runs was to run 9 miles last week, 10 this week, cut back next week and 11 or 12 miles on the 4th of June and then cut back the week before the half (which is June 18). 

I've never followed a training plan for a half marathon.  The first one I ran, Berry Dairy Days in June June 2013, I was initially just adding mileage every week to see how far I could go and then decided to run a half. 

My second half in September 2013, Skagit Flats, I had just started struggling with plantar faciitis and didn't feel confident at all.  I pulled that one in just under 2 hours, 1:59:47.  =)  But again, I didn't really follow a training plan, I just continued with my long runs after my first half.  After that one I cut way back on my running to try to heal my foot, but if you've been reading this for very long, you know that only last until January of 2014 where I made the stupid goal of running 100 miles a month and started training for a full marathon.

This time has been no different.  I haven't been following a training plan, I did look one up about a week ago, but I figured I'd just add mileage to my long runs and see how I did.  I haven't been planning or expecting a PRing, just running.  Of course, all my runs this year I haven't expected a PR and I've gotten 2. 

This week I started my week with three miles on Sunday, rest on Monday and then went out for 5 miles on Tuesday.  Two blocks from my house there is a very broken sidewalk for about a block, lots of cracks, lots of holes, but I've been running this sidewalk for a long, long time (it was the end of my run before we moved, now it's the beginning of my run), so I'm used to the cracks and the holes, I just pay attention, usually.  On Tuesday I was running on that sidewalk and a guy was in his yard doing yard work.  I've seen this guy before and he usually waves, so when I ran past him, he waved again.  I turned to wave at him . . . and stepped in a hole and fell.  I twisted my ankle pretty bad.

I laid on the ground for a few min.  The guy I waved at came over and was very nice.  He asked me several times how I was, and if I needed help.  He even offered to drive me home.  Chris was going to go to the store, and I saw him come around the corner not very long after I fell, so I told the guy that car was my husband and he flagged him down and Chris gave me a ride home.

I was pretty upset.  Actually I was very upset.  I didn't know how bad it was, it actually didn't hurt a lot but it did swell up pretty quickly.  I iced it regularly and tried to keep it elevated. I don't know what this means for the half marathon in a month.  I know I won't be running any more this week, and am still hopeful that I'll run at least a little next week, but I don't know.  =/

Yesterday it actually felt pretty good, it was still pretty swollen, but it was okay.  In the afternoon it started hurting quite a lot, which I thought was interesting as I wasn't on it very much.  When I got home I iced and elevated it all evening.  This morning it felt okay, and the swelling has gone done quite a bit.  However, I have noticed that it is starting to show a bruise. 
I guess we'll see what happens the next week or so.  I'm still holding onto hope that I'll be able to run next week. We'll see . . .

1 comment:

  1. I am so crossing my fingers that it heals fast and that you are back at it soon! And that your plans are not scrubbed!!!

    ReplyDelete