Monday, October 3, 2016

Holy soreness!

I haven't been swimming very much, or at all, lately.  I've been going to the gym during my lunch and with swimming there is no getting around getting my hair wet. It's inevitable (go figure).  When I have to dry and style my hair, it takes me at least 45 min to get ready, so swimming for 30 min and getting ready for 45, that's a lot of time for "lunch."  And while I know there are others in my office that take long lunches, I don't think they are doing it 2-3 times a week.  I do enjoy swimming and I think it's a great exercise, but I don't feel like it's a good thing to be doing for my lunch break. 

I started weight training because I don't have to get my hair wet, which cuts my "get ready" time in half. However, I am super self-conscious about the weights, I don't really know what I'm doing.  Several years ago I joined a gym in Mount Vernon, it was right across from my office and I went right after work.  It had a separate, small room for women only I that was what I used.  It had very few weight machines, but I would do them all.  And I wasn't scared of people watching me and laughing at me.  My current gym does not have that.  All of the weights are right in the open and it's very intimidating.  There are  millions (or it feels like millions) of weight machines, none of which look like the ones I did 10 years ago.  So I googled "weight machine workout" and found a "12 week plan" none of which I am doing, other than the weighs. . .  and no machines, or only a few. 

I started at the end of the week 2 weeks ago with one bicep and back workout, and then waited 3 days before doing it again, so I just repeated that workout again, and then the next day I did triceps, shoulders and chest.  My upper body was a little sore, but not too bad.  Then two days later, last Thursday, I did legs and abs . . . holy cow, I was so sore on Friday. 

I might have been more sore because I ran on Thursday after leg day . . . 4 miles.  Funny thing that happened, I got new shoes, and on my run on Thursday I felt a rub spot in my shoes.  I was pretty annoyed because they are new and I didn't want to have to go buy another pair.  Well, I decided about a block from home to stop and check my shoe, and out fell a barrett.  =)  It had fallen in my shoe after I went to the gym.  That would have been one hell of a rub spot if I had ignored it!!

And then Saturday came, and I was even more sore.  I had problems with stairs, curbs, sitting, standing up, laying down, moving in general.  It is amazing how much you use your quad muscles.  I did not know how much I use them to stabilize myself.  Any time I would sway a little, I would almost fall over. 

I also ran on Saturday, 3 miles.  I figured on Sunday my legs would be okay enough to do a "long" run of 5 miles, which I did, but then yesterday evening my legs were almost as sore as Saturday. 

My long run was nice.  My first 5 miles since I sprained my ankle in May, that's 4 months, or 20 weeks . . . but who's counting?  ; )  So, how is my ankle doing?  Fine.  It has been a little sore here and there, but nothing that concerns me.  Friday was the most sore it's been in a while, and I think that was because of the way I was walking and just generally moving from my sore legs. 

What actually has concerned me the most is a pain I  have in my other heel.  It's on the back of my heel, not on the bottom (plantar faciitis is the bottom).  I've been stretching pretty regularly for the last 3 or more weeks, at least 2-3 times a week. 

This week will be more difficult to do the weights.  I was supposed to go today, but my work schedule didn't allow time.  Tomorrow I'll go, but I'm also doing a cycle class in the afternoon because my sister can't on Wednesday.  The only time I can go on Wednesday is after work, and that is one of the busiest times for the gym and I don't like a lot of people there when I do it.  I think I can go on Thursday, but it's my birthday and I was thinking of skipping.  Friday I have off.

We're going to San Juan Island Friday for the weekend for my birthday.  It's been planned for a year.  =)  Hopefully we'll have decent weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment