Monday, October 17, 2016

Birthday weekend

My birthday weekend was nice.  We walked onto the ferry going to Friday Harbor, which is on San Juan Island, so we didn't have a car.  A lot of the things I would have liked to do required a car.  I enjoy going to the county park on San Juan Island and the light house, and there are two camps, the American Camp and English Camp (the San Juan Island chain was disputed territory for a long time and each side had a camp on opposite ends of San Juan Island).  Plus, there are hiking trails that I have enjoyed doing in the past, however, I don't know if I could have convinced Chris to go hiking anyway.  Anyway, all of those things weren't possible without a car.


Ferry crossing
When we got there our room was tiny, seriously, smallest hotel room I've ever seen.  However, we noticed that someone had punched (or something) the bathroom door.  We went to the lobby to let them know about it because we didn't want to be responsible for the damage, and they moved us to a different room, upgrading us about 150%.  Our new room was huge and very nice. 

damaged door
Good thing we got a bigger room, Saturday was a pretty rainy morning so we basically stayed in the room all morning.  I got sucked into a movie marathon on USA network, and ended up watching 2 and a half movies before finally leaving the room.  We walked the "main drag" of Friday Harbor.  We haven't been there for 3 years, and it seems like a lot of the touristy shops closed and became either restaurants or something else.  We went in a few of the stores, but there really didn't seem like there was very many.  Chris's "go-to" store, a hot sauce place, was closed, but he went to a jerky place.   The restaurant that we love to get drinks at, the Crabhouse, was closed for the season, so I didn't even get the San Juan Island Iced Tea that I love.   I had mentioned going to the Whale museum and/or a movie, but because I was lazy we didn't do either one. 
One side of our room
what I did Saturday morning . . .
I had a massage scheduled for the afternoon, and it was the best thing ever.  Have I ever mentioned that I've never had a massage?  At least not one from a professional before.  It was heavenly.  I think I need to go more often than once every 40 years.  ; ) 

Saturday evening we went out for drinks and dinner, and because I'm old now, back to the room fairly early.  We went to one place and really liked the bartender.  She said she was moving upstairs at dinnertime to a sushi place, but since we don't like sushi we went elsewhere for dinner.  Then we went to get a drink from the bartender we liked, but they were "foo-foo" drinks and I wasn't extremely impressed.  I actually liked the boring "dive bar" (if there is such a thing in a tourist town) that we went to Friday night better.  We did get in the hot tub afterwards, but I'm not crazy about really hot hot tubs, so I didn't stay very long.  Sunday was basically getting up, packing, and leaving the hotel.  We hung out at a restaurant waiting for the ferry home. 

It was a short trip, and it was nice to get away for a weekend, but maybe not exactly what I had planned when I asked for it a year ago. I would have preferred to have a car, but we decided to leave it for Damian in case of emergencies. 

I didn't take a ton of pictures, mostly because we didn't do a whole lot.  I did take a million pictures of the ferry crossing, but how boring is that.  =)  The highlight of the trip was the massage.  I need more of those in my life.

I have more things to talk about, not about my birthday weekend, but it will have to wait.  I'm running, and still going to the gym.  Although, last week I was really sick and skipped both more days than not.  I'm feeling better today, went to the gym at lunch and am going to run this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment