Monday, September 25, 2017

Another failed long run

I'm rather disappointed in having to take so much time off for my hip issues.  My 3 weeks off made me slower, which is understandable, of course it's going to affect my time and distance, but it's frustrating.  And honestly, I'm looking at my training schedule and I should have already done a 20 mile run . . . 3 weeks ago.

Yesterday I went out to run 19 miles, why 19?  Well, because I've been behind and I haven't been pushing myself, and last week I did 16.  I don't know if I can jump 4 miles in one week, so I decided 3 miles would be an okay jump .  . . except I didn't make it to 19. 

I guess, since I didn't post last week, I will back up a little.  A week ago yesterday I ran 16 miles, and while I felt it was hard, it wasn't that bad.  I finished, and felt good about it.  It was the first run since July 23rd that I ran the distance I set out to run.  I even went grocery shopping afterwards, don't get me wrong, my feet were really tired, but I did it. 
Then on Tuesday while I was running I felt a sharp pain in my right knee as I stepped down, and then again on the next step with the right foot.  I stopped, assessed, and it didn't feel bad, ran a few steps and it was gone, so I finished my 5 mile run.  On Wednesday I woke up and it was a little sore, but I was planning on resting that day anyway, so I didn't worry about it.  However, on Thursday it was really sore so I decided I should take that day off as well.  Friday came, and it felt better, but was still giving me a little irritation, so again I rested.

Saturday I got up bright and early and went for a 5 mile run.  No issues with my knee at all.  So it's a go for Sunday's long run.  Except I woke up on Sunday and didn't really feel like running.  I laid in bed, watched Orange is the New Black (why did I wait so long to watch the new season?!) and thought about skipping my run.  At about 9am Chris came in and asked me about my run, and I shrugged and said I didn't want to run.

Finally I got out of bed and got dressed and left for my run at about 9:45am.  Still not sure how far I was going to go.  Thinking I may cut it short and call it good.  Well, that's exactly what I did.  At about mile 9 I came to a road where I had to turn left to go farther, I was moving really slow at this point, or I could turn right and head home.  The thought of running 10 more miles seriously made me want to cry so I looked at mapmyrun, then Google Maps to figure out how far I was from home. I decided running 5 more miles to make 14 total sounded way better than running 10 more miles, so I turned right. 

I got about 2 miles down the road and realized I really, really had to use a bathroom.  Like now!  I text Chris, asked him to come get me, he didn't respond, then I remembered there was a church not very far ahead and thought I could maybe make it there.  I ended up walking to the church and thankfully was able to use the bathroom.  (This was eerily similar to my story 2 years ago. . . however, there were people there and I was able to ask, and I didn't spend the rest of my day in the bathroom, thankfully, oh and it wasn't a great run . . . so maybe not so similar.)  While I was sitting on the toilet I called Chris and asked him to come get me, but then I got out of the church and felt good.  I could have run the 2 more miles to the park where Chris was meeting me with Maddox.  =/  Oh well, I got 12 miles in. Honestly, I didn't feel bummed about not doing 19 miles, but I felt really upset that I didn't do 14.

You know what is usually the start of a bad run?  Me telling myself over and over that I don't want to run, and not telling myself that I'm going to run 19 miles no matter what.  Also, reading my old posts from marathon training 2 years ago today has made me realize that I am not fueling the same way, and maybe that's why I'm so tired.  2 years ago what I found best was 3 honey stingers every 2 miles, I am currently only doing 2 honey stingers every 2 miles.  I just bought some Nuun for last week's run, so I'm sipping that whenever I want, but maybe the honey stingers are another thing that's going wrong for me.

Once again, I am no where near where I should be in training for a marathon.  Maybe if I do enough of them, I will have figured it out and followed a training plan.  This year was going to be the year I followed the plan exactly, and I was going to run it under 4 hours . . .that is not going to happen.  I can't go back and fix my hip, I can't go back and make myself run more on my long runs, so I just need to go forward.  I saw on Facebook that they've added a half marathon option to the Tri-Cities Marathon, so maybe I'll do that.  I have until October 14th to decide (the last day of registering for the marathon) and I'll have gotten in 2 more long runs before that, so I'll know where I stand. 

One last thing before I'm done.  My failed 19 mile run yesterday was along the beginning of my long runs from 2 years ago.  I was a little leery about running that way because there were a couple houses with dogs, and I have definitely developed an aversion to dogs while I run (honestly, they scare me more than being attacked by humans), I like dogs, I'm not scared of them, but farm dogs are territorial and usually not on leashes or fenced in, and no one is around.  Anyway, I did it and passed Donald again.  I had forgotten about Donald and his peanut wagon.
 
They've definitely done more work to him and cleaned up the area around him.  =)
From 2015
I noticed the solar panel yesterday, I didn't remember it from 2 years ago, and now I'm curious what it is powering.  Maybe I'll have to drive out there one evening to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Differences

 This morning I decided to take my blood pressure because I haven't taken it for awhile.  Retatrutide (reta) is supposed to help with bl...