Saturday, September 27, 2025

Nostalgia

 I decided that I wanted to put all my old runs into the Garmin app because I was getting tired of "badges" saying things like "fastest mile" or "longest run."  Although, maybe the Garmin app has a short memory because it already has my 2017 marathon in it, so 4 miles is definitely not the longest run I've done.  

Anyway, it really is fascinating and kind of cool to look at my old runs and remember what I ran, or where I was.  I've been cross-referencing some of them with my old blog posts (for example, to see why I walked 4 miles one day instead of run . . . I hurt my calf turning to talk to some guy . . . which I had completely forgotten about).  

Also, I've noticed that I was not concerned in my beginning running year(s?) about hitting the mileage mark exactly.  I plotted a route and then ran it without making sure it was exactly on the mile mark, so there are a lot of random numbers, like 3.98 miles (who runs 3.98 miles without doing the extra 0.02 mile???) and 4.68 miles.  Very strange of me, but I think it was because I was just running.  I think I started making sure to hit the mileage mark after I had been reading blogs for awhile, although, bloggers helped me start and continue running in those early days.

I also noticed that I increased my mileage and pace a lot faster than I have this last year.  I'm still logging a lot of 2 milers, 9 months into talking about increasing my mileage.  In fact, last month I only had 22 miles total. Even in March 2012, the first full month of me running, I logged 61 miles, although I was running 5-6 days a week.  I remember feeling, at that time, that if I didn't run every day I'd quit, I forced myself to take rest days.  By the end of March 2012, I was running 3 miles every day (well, two of them were 4 miles).  This last Sunday was my first 4 miler since April.  My motivation has left, or determination? Whatever, I am not forcing myself to go run, and when I do force myself, I tell myself I only have to do 2 miles, although, I have done 3 miles after telling myself I only have to do 2.

The other difference in 2012 and now is that I now live in a flat area, whereas 2012-2022 I lived in a very hilly area.  I think hills really make a difference in pace.  I quickly moved from 11 min miles to 9 min miles.  I have stayed at over 11 min miles this time around, but I have also not been pushing myself.

I used to think that I had to run the entire time, my thinking has changed and I do a lot of walk breaks.  Probably even when I don't need them.  

I am looking at half marathons again.  I totally skipped even training for the one I was thinking of doing this fall (it happened last weekend).  I actually ran part of the route yesterday, and it was really pretty, so maybe I'll keep it in mind for next year.  There's a half marathon in eastern WA that looks interesting at the end of February, so maybe.  I do want to get back into that kind of shape.  Once upon a time I was always half marathon ready and I think it'd be nice to be back to that.

Anyway, the other day (Thursday) I ran in Anacortes along a trail I didn't know existed (I don't typically even go to Anacortes except for work).  But after I ran half the trail I looked it up and found that it was the "wrong" half.  I started in town and ran through industrial waterfront, which was not scenic.  The second half runs along the Sound and even over the water at one point.  I only wanted to run 3 miles, and the entire trail is a little over 3, but I did out and back.  I only ran a mile and a half one way and had just gotten to the prettier part of the trail whne I turned around.  Next time I'll start at the other end.



Below is the part of the trail I did not run. 


Oh well, I now have several clients in Anacortes, so I will run it another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Differences

 This morning I decided to take my blood pressure because I haven't taken it for awhile.  Retatrutide (reta) is supposed to help with bl...