What triggers in a person's brain that they are going to do something?
Right after (maybe 6 months) I had Maddox I decided I was going to start running. I loved it as a kid, I dabbled in it in my 20s, finally at 35 I decided to start. It was not to lose weight, it was because I had always liked the act of running. I was worried that if I took a rest day, one day would turn into 2 and so on, so for a little while I ran (mostly walked) every day. That didn't last long, but I did continue to run. I started reading blogs of people who ran, I would try to go back to the blog's inception and read it all, it kept me motivated, taught me a lot about what to do, and motivated me to run races. I still follow two of those blogs, RunsforCookies and Belief in Myself, the rest all quit blogging at some point (don't worry, I've found a few more now, but nothing like what I used to read). Actually, those two bloggers (Katie and Mary Fran) have been blogging so long they were probably two of the few that I couldn't read from the beginning. Reading blogs prompted me to start a blog. I started with a different name, I think it was "Living the Dream, a Crazy and Convoluted dream" but eventually settled on Running the Dream. I even made a facebook page (back when they were new and nothing like they are now) called Running the Dream. (It's still there, I just never post on it now and it was never big.)
In 2015 I decided to run a marathon, up until then I said marathon runners were crazy, I even got a magnet for my car that said "Only half crazy, 13.1" But for whatever reason, I decided to run one. I think, at that time, I was enamored with how far I could run. Each Sunday was a new distance and it was exciting to me. I ran because I loved it.
And I started losing weight, it was a slow loss. From February 2012 to March 2015 I lost 30 lbs it was not on purpose, it was a side effect of running and eating better. Eating better was also a side effect of running, I was feeling good, so I wanted to eat good. And I lost weight. Then when I started marathon training I had read that many people training for a marathon gain weight, and I did not want that, so I tightened up my eating even more and lost almost another 10 lbs. I honestly felt great, the whole experience was a joy, I was running new distances every week, and I was seeing loses on the scale almost weekly.
In 2016 I decided I'd run another marathon, well actually the same one, just a different year. I also decided to run the Seattle Rock and Roll half. A friend was doing it, and I thought it was interesting, plus another friend paid for me. I went out on my first training run and sprained my ankle. I tried to continue to running, but really just made it worse. Anyway, I gained some weight because I wasn't running. Losing weight while marathon training seemed so easy, it just fell off it seemed. So I wasn't worried, I thought that once I started running again, I'd lose it. I didn't. I didn't gain a lot of weight, only about 5-7 lbs, but I didn't lose it.
That was when my mind switched from running for enjoyment to running to lose weight. I didn't lose weight, but I kept thinking I would. I started marathon training in 2017 with the sole purpose of having the same success weight-wise as I had in 2015.
Granted, we're talking less than 10lbs, but it was an obsession.Fast forward, 2020 I gained weight, mostly from just being home all the time, drinking more and definitely eating more. And I keep gaining. It's gotten to the point where I don't even enjoy running, my go to exercise my entire life (not that I did it all my life, but if I exercised, I ran). My sister says it's because of my runstreak. I forced my body to run every day for 4 years, of course my brain is rebelling, and she might be right. But I am the heaviest I've been since 2012. I struggle with eating right, struggle with running, I struggle. And I'm unhappy about it.
So back to my first question . . . What triggers in a person's brain that they are going to do something? And keep at it? What moves you from motivation to determination (great blog by RunsforCookies here). I am able to motivate myself for awhile, but my motivation dwindles quite quickly. Reading the books on ultra-running was very motivating to me, but I haven't read one in awhile. I even watched a couple documentaries following a couple ultra-races, which was helpful for that day, maybe even that week.
It's a mindset. I noticed it yesterday. All day I thought "I'm going to run today." On my way home it was rainy and cloudy so I started thinking, no, I'm not going to run. Then I got to town and remembered the stud in my nose had fallen out that morning and I needed to stop to get a new one, and I thought, I'm not going to run. Then I got home and I put on running clothes and went for a run. But I didn't do that today, and it's sunny and nice(ish) out. I need to get back into that mode of just do it. Just go. Maybe having a calendar with planned runs days would be helpful? Maybe I'll try that next week. Get back to loving to run (and hating it in the moment).
I find myself really relating to this. I have really been struggling with my weight too. For about the last year I just can't seem to lose. I do exercise regularly. 4-6 mornings a week I run 3 miles but that isn't budging it at all. I am older & treated for hyperthyroidism but I should be able to lose. I am not sure what diet to follow as I have done many. I have learned weight loss happens in the kitchen not the gym.
ReplyDelete