Monday, April 17, 2017

Hot springs

Once again last week was a bust running.  I just can't get it together.  Last weekend I decided to work on increasing my miles.  Sunday is a run day, Monday is a no run day, then Tuesday and Wednesday are run days, Thursday a walk/spin day with my sister, Friday and Saturday are run days.  I haven't completely decided, but I think I'm going to go back to long runs on Sunday.  I really do prefer that over Saturdays.  Well, it didn't work out that way this week.

Tuesday Maddox had t-ball pictures, but I still went for a run, even though it was kinda late.  Then Wednesday was t-ball practice and I didn't run.  Thursday was Damian's track meet, so no walk or spin.  And Friday when I got home I was the only one home with Maddox so couldn't go run.  So after Saturday's run, I ran a grand total of 13 miles.  Not what I'd call increasing my miles. . .

I ran 5 miles yesterday.  My legs were a little sore after 10 miles in 2 days, which is a bad sign. Means I'm not in great shape.  =/  I did get a roller stick to roll my legs with.  I was having a hard time with the foam roller in certain areas.  I'm not sure I'm sold on it though.
After my run we did our weekly grocery shopping and then went up to a hot springs about an hour and half away from our house.  It took quite a bit longer though because of road conditions.  We were chugging along on a "forest road" up a  mountain.  About 2 miles away from the hot springs we ran into some snow and a very muddy road.  It wasn't horrible, but the center of the road was quite a bit higher than the tire ruts, Chris was pretty worried about the car getting stuck. 

Chris told me that it was a maintained trail with about a half mile walk from the parking area, and there was even a changing room.  So not knowing anything about where we were going or the conditions of the place but thinking it was a well maintained "park-like" spot, I wore flip flops.  I thought about tennis shoes, but decided that if it was an easy hike, flip flops would be fine. 

Well, when we got to this snowy part of the road, we got out and walked the small spot where it was troublesome, in flip flops.  (At least I had clothes on and not just a bathing suit with a coverup over it.)  We discussed driving over the area, and I was mostly for it, I thought that the car would be okay, but Chris was really worried.

While we walked in the snow, Maddox kept
saying he was the smart one because he was
wearing tennis shoes.  =)


After about 45 min and walking the road several times, we discussed what would happen if we got stuck up there.  Both of us were in flip flops with no other shoes, no other clothing options.  We had no shovels, and no cell service.  Chris decided we'd turn around and go somewhere else.  We were just getting in the car when a jeep came by and said it wasn't that bad.  The spot we were at was the only snowy spot in the road and there was a car about the size of ours up there.  So Chris decided we could make it, and we did.  =)





Maddox's dam
The trail there was not a well-maintained "park-like" trail, but it wasn't too rough, so my flip flops weren't that bad.  There was no changing room, nor was there a bathroom of any sort.  I had worn my bathing suit on under my clothes, but Chris and Maddox had to change. 

This was my first experience with a hot springs and it was pretty smelly.  Chris couldn't stand the smell (the smell of eggs, and he hates eggs) so we were only there about 20 min.  I swear, we debated the road for a lot longer than we were actually in the hot springs. 

We had met a family coming down, the family of the car that was the deciding factor to keep going, so we were the only ones there.  We got out and I changed Maddox and then was about to change myself when Chris said some people were coming.  Yep, 3 people were walking up the trail.  I will change in a women's locker room without much hesitation, but there is no way I will get naked in front of 2 men on the side of a mountain, so I just put my clothes back over my wet suit and we left. 

We got part way down the trail and far enough away that they were out of sight, so  I decided to change behind a tree.  We kept going a few feet further, I realized my travel wallet had fallen out of my sweatshirt pocket at some point.  I turned around and walked back to where I changed and then all the way back to the hot springs.  Thankfully I found it, it just had my ID in it, but I didn't really want to worry about having to replace it. 

Like I said, I've never been to a hot springs before, so I was caught off guard by the lack of visibility in the water.  The "pond" was only 3 feet deep, or less, and I couldn't see the bottom.  I don't like not knowing what's under me in water so it was a little intimidating at first.  Plus, whenever I stood up I had black silt all over me.  I was the only one this happened to, so I don't know what that meant. 

1 comment:

  1. I would love to go to a hot springs...and hiking to one is even better!!!

    ReplyDelete