Thursday, February 23, 2017

Licking my wounds

The "receptionist" or as she prefers to be called, Admin Assistant, is leaving my agency next week.  Her last day is next Friday.  In the year and a half that she has worked here, we have become pretty good friends. 

Another coworker, the one I worked closest with, left December 31st.  The program she was working with (another court program) lost the contract and she was let go.  She was also a good friend.  I kinda fell into this group of friends at work.  I'm a pretty quiet person, especially around new people, and these two are definitely not quiet, but I shared an office with my coworker, and she "adopted" me. 
How I meet most of my friends
It hasn't really kicked in that my two closest friends at work are no longer going to be there.  I've gotten used to my coworker, but once the Admin Asst leaves it will be very difficult for me.  I'm not a huge fan of the agency I work for (no details, I want to keep my job), but I do enjoy the people I work with.  And I like what I do, and the freedom the job gives me.  I have debated many times about finding a new job, but there are things about my current one that I would miss and at the moment am not willing to give up, so I stay. 

The agency I work for has really, really high turn over, the worst of any place I've worked.  I have had my job for 2 years and almost 3 months and I am the 2nd in seniority (of only 5 people, but still).  I know that the other 4 people in the clinical side (there's two sides, clinical and manufacturing) are all looking for another job, including one person that hasn't even been here 90 days yet. 

I don't remember where I was going with this topic, other than I've been really sad this week.  Next week will be worse.  Although, this week the Admin. Asst started training her replacement, and while that person seems nice, I'm pretty sure we won't be good friends like the current one.

Anyway, this week I've been trying to make up for my laziness last week.  I get reimbursed by my insurance if I go to the gym 12 times in a month, which equals 3 times a week.  Well, with the unexpected snow day the first full week of February, and being lazy last week, I have to go to the gym every week day until the end of the month to make up for it, every day this week and Monday and Tuesday next week.  It hasn't been too bad, but today I'm rather sore.  Arms, shoulders, back, stomach, legs, butt all worked out in the first 3 days of the week.  Today is cycle day with my sister, and I'm worried about how my legs will feel afterwards.

Tuesday I got home a little early and left for a run right away to enjoy the sun.  I was running my normal 4 mile run route when I noticed that a house was being renovated, I was looking at the house (have I mentioned I like looking at houses when I run?) and Bam!  I was on the ground.  I tripped on a crack . . . the same one I tripped on several months ago.  (I can't find any posts on it, nor any pictures of the last time, but it was in the dark and now I always look for it while running).  As I was falling I screamed Damn it! really loud because I knew exactly what I tripped on, and was mad at myself for not paying attention. 

I sat on the ground for a few minutes assessing the damage.  So long that a guy came around the corner of the house I was in front of to ask if I was okay.  (I was actually surprised no one came earlier because I yelled pretty loud, and said "Ouch!" pretty loud as I hit the ground.)  I told him I was okay, he asked if I needed a bandaid and I said no, I was just "licking my wounds after tripping on the same crack I had before."  I told him I only had a mile left to get home and got up and finished my run.  Honestly, I probably would have sat there a little longer, but since I had told him I was okay, I figured I should prove it and go.

(I finally found the post about it, it was much longer ago than I thought, in fact over a year ago.  Here's the post, if you want to look at it.)

I think this fall was my worst one yet.  I scraped my left hand up pretty bad, and my right elbow and forearm. Actually, thinking about it, the previous one I hit my hip and knee pretty hard, and this one my hand and arm took most of the beating, which is more noticeable during the day. 

I did hit my hip and knee, and I had some light scratches (that are gone now) on my stomach.  Weirdly, I have some scrapes on the palm and back of my right hand.  I don't know how that's possible, but they're there. 

The last picture was taken today.  I don't bruise easily, so when I see bruises I figure I hit pretty hard. You can sorta see the scrapes on the back of this hand, right under my pinkie finger.  I don't know how I managed to scrape the inside of my hand and the outside of my forearm, elbow, and hand on the same side, but I did.

Anyway, I ran 3 miles yesterday and like I said, today is cycle day. I don't know if I'll run tomorrow or not, and am undecided about my long runs.  I do need to keep my mileage up if I'm going to do 5 more half marathons this year. 

This week, for some reason, has felt like a weird week.  It's definitely been a long one and I still have another day of work left.  I don't know what it is, if it's the fact that I've gone to the gym so much or if it's because I don't have my coffee friend, maybe it's because of the Admin. Asst. leaving and the new one starting this week.  I don't know, but I'm looking forward to next week when I hope things will get a little better.  (Although my coffee friend doesn't come back till Wednesday or Thursday, and it's the last week of my Admin. Asst. friend working, so that's gonna be tough.) 

1 comment:

  1. I hate it when co-workers /friends leave and I am left alone at work without a cool work posse!!! i will be thinking about you!!!

    Yikes on the fall!!!! What's the odds of tripping over the same crack!!!! I haven't fallen yet while running but I fear it's going to come sooner or later!

    ReplyDelete