Monday, January 30, 2017

Half marathon, Girl's night out, cat stacking and fairy gardens

I am thinking about doing another half marathon on Feb. 12th.  I'm already in shape for one.  If I do a long run next weekend that is above 10 miles, I should be fine for the following weekend to do 13.1 miles.  On the Skagit Runners page it's name is the Birch Bay International (Half) Marathon.  I'm not sure why it's called "international" but that is what caught my attention. 

I read a blog, I've mentioned her lots before, Runs for Cookies, and she lives in Michigan.  She talks about the Detroit Free Press Half and Full Marathon.  They both go into Canada, and I have thought it would be a really cool marathon to do.  My biggest problem with doing that marathon is the location, not that it's far away, but when Chris and I were separated, I dated a guy from Michigan that was very serious and now to bring up Michigan to Chris is awkward at best. 

Anyway, when I noticed the "international" in the name of the Birch Bay International Marathon I thought it would be one that also goes into Canada and I thought that would be awesome (although, I'm not ready for another full marathon, but a half would be fun too).  However, looking at the map of the run, neither one goes into Canada, even though it's right on the border. 

The course is along the water and looks really pretty (hopefully no rain!) so I decided I may do it.  (See how decisive that is?) ; ) 
This weekend my long run was "only" 7 miles.  I'm pretty pleased I did that. I didn't feel like it at all.  And then on Sunday we were planning to go up into the mountains a little to eagle watch because it's eagle season (I guess) and I thought it would be fun.  I was outvoted though when the day turned out to be cold and windy.  So instead I went for a 5 mile run.  It was a wet run.  My water resistant jacket wasn't made for western Washington running through clouds (that's what I consider the constant drizzle, it's not rain, it's not even a drizzle, it's like running, or walking, through a cloud).
 
Last week my coworkers (and one ex-coworker/officemate) asked me if I was interested in going to a "Girl's Night Out" event after work on Thursday.  Originally I couldn't go, but then all the reasons why I couldn't go got canceled.  Then one of my coworkers canceled so I took her ticket and went.  It was a lot of fun.  I might have bought quite a few things I didn't need. . . 
My coworkers and myself, I feel
very tall in this picture, and I was
wearing flat shoes.
This wine glass was one of the things I bought.
 Another of the things I bought they had to order, but I'm super excited about it.
It's like a glove, it goes on your hand and has a holder for the pepperspray.  It really is perfect, so I had to buy it.  This is the link to the site, but it's one of those sites like Mary Kay, you have to have a "consultant" sell you stuff. 

The receptionist at my work is very into cats and people give her all sorts of cat related things all the time.  This is a stacking puzzle thing, and we have spent quite a lot of time stacking her cats.  I really, really want one, especially since she's leaving in March.
And lastly (is lastly a word?)  I started a "fairy garden."  I've seen them on Pinterest and thought they were cool, but I don't have a daughter and they're always geared towards that so I never bothered.  Well, over Christmas we were in a gardening store and I saw all these goal fairy/gnome garden items and I decided I had to do it anyway. I put it together yesterday and I think, for what I have, it's really cute.  =)
Of course, as soon as I did it, and went inside, a cat (we have several wild cats living in our backyard) dug through it and I had to redo it.  But it's still cute even if the moss is a little dirty now.

1 comment: