Tuesday, July 26, 2016

It's been awhile

Wow!  My last post was almost 3 weeks ago.  I've said this before, but when I don't run I feel like my brain doesn't work as much.  I don't have as much to say because I'm not running.

And I'm still not running.  We're at week 10, exactly today.  I have a friend on Facebook that is a nurse, he lives in Virginia, but he's been very interested in my running since I started and he asks me regularly how things are going.  About a week ago I chatted with him, and sent a picture of my ankle from 2 days after I sprained it.  He told me it looks and sounds like a Grade 2 sprain and that can take 14 weeks to heal. =/  He told me to take some supplements that may help and gave me some advice.  Really he gave me more information and advice than the dr did at week 5. 

I got a brace and have been wearing it.  Usually when it bothers me or when I'm walking a lot. 

I started thinking about joining a gym again.  When I was struggling with plantar faciitis, I joined the YMCA, which, in Mt. Vernon, is really kind of a crappy facility, but was cheap and they did monthly memberships with no commitments.  But the exercises I would do still involve my ankle, swimming and cycle.  So I haven't done that yet.  Plus, my sister told me I should wait 2 weeks, quit running sporadically (I was averaging a run a week) and just let it heal and see what happens.  So I'm in my 3rd week of that.

This weekend I am running a race, I have to maintain my goal of a race a month, but it will be a slow race since I haven't run at all since July 4th. 

Another change I have done is I've started being completely honest with my food.  And I've gone over my calories everyday. 

I'm still undecided about a gym.  My work has a thing through insurance that if I joined a gym I would get reimbursed some for going, as long as I go 12 times a month.  That would be nice.  I think the Y is $55? so if I was reimbursed for $20 of that, I'd only be paying $35.  I don't know.  I don't know if I should be doing anything on my ankle at all. . . But I'm dying to exercise.  I miss it.  I especially miss not feeling bloated all the time. 

I keep telling myself this is temporary and if I just let it heal I'll be able to run, but it's very, very frustrating. 

At this point, running a marathon , at least for the October marathon, is out.  =(  I have 13 Saturdays before the marathon, and I don't think that's enough time.  I'm not running at all, and haven't done any long runs for 10 weeks, so my endurance is gone, and more importantly, my ankle isn't healed yet.  Maybe I'll look into marathons in December.  I know there's a local one on December 31st, that might be a fun way to celebrate the end of 2016. 

1 comment:

  1. You you will get there again... just have patience!! Play the long game and find something in the meantime that will make you happy.

    ReplyDelete