Friday, June 3, 2016

Still injured, a run, a trip, and possibly a Ragnar

Well, I'm still not running.  Last Saturday I decided to try for a run.  I was hoping 2 miles, maybe 3.  I got about a block away and turned around, but then as I was going home, I decided I was going to try to go farther, at least up the nasty hill that I always run to get some sort of exercise it. 

I have 2 voices in my head, one saying it's not that bad and I can do it.  And the other saying don't hurt yourself more.  I'd like to think both voices won last Saturday.  I kept going, but at one mile I decided that was far enough.  It was definitely not comfortable, and definitely not one of those aches that you know you can  push through and ignore.  In fact, it was getting worse.  So I stopped and turned around.  I thought I'd walk home, but as I was walking it was continuing to hurt, so I called Damian (who I had warned I may call) and asked him to come get me.  I kept walking until he got there, but it wasn't very far. 

I went home and iced my ankle and then had chores and stuff to do.  We were waiting for Chris to get off work so that we could go to eastern WA for the long weekend.  Chris has Sunday and Monday off, so when I have Monday off I want to do something with the whole family. 

It was a very short trip.  Chris didn't get home till about 5 and we didn't get out of the house till about 6.  I was hoping my dad would get his boat out and we could go boating on Sunday, but it was predicted to be very windy and my dad didn't seem too excited to do that.  He did get his boat out, but it was to "summer-ize" it while Chris and Damian were there to help him and then it got put back away.  We ended up going to Lind, where I went to school, to a park for a picnic and then up to the cemetery where most, if not all, of my dad's family is buried.  Overall, it was a good day.

So I'm going to add a couple "extra" photos because they were sooo funny.  Damian asked me if I wanted to go on the teeter totter with him.  He wanted to see who was heavier.  We already knew he was, but it sounded fun.  I don't remember the last time I was on one.  It was the strangest feeling to have no control on whether or not I could go up (or down).  I was totally dependent on if he would push off the ground or not. I decided to try to pick up rocks to make myself heavier.
It didn't work.  =)  Then Maddox joined me and we were just barely heavier than Damian.
It was a lot of fun. =)  Although my ankle hurt a lot while we were at the park. 

We came back on Monday, early to avoid the traffic. 

I went for a 2 1/2 mile walk on Tuesday to test out my leg, and because I've been grumpy without being able to run.  Wednesday my ankle hurt quite a lot in the morning, but started feeling better again in the afternoon. 

Yesterday I had to walk from the bus stop home, that was about 2 miles, and today my ankle has been good.  I don't know if it only hurts because of how I sleep, or if it's the running/walking.

I may try to go for a run this weekend, I haven't decided.  I have pretty much given up hope on the Seattle Rock n Roll Half, its in two weeks, and I can't even run a mile.  =(  I'm pretty bummed about it.  Although, I may join a Ragnar team.  A coworker is doing the Northwest Passage Ragnar in July and she's had teammates drop out, so many that they've run through their back up people.  She asked if I'm willing to do it.  I said yes, but it depends on my ankle.  So that might be fun.  And I'll get one of those cool Ragnar stickers for my car.  =)

1 comment:

  1. Darn ankle!!! That thing just needs to heel!!!! They say sprains are worse than a break though...longer to feel better and not have twinges!!!! Good luck!!! You should be over most of it soon!!!

    ReplyDelete