Tuesday, June 7, 2016

I ran!

Over the weekend I was going to try to run a little and see how I felt.  The idea was that I was going to go one mile and see, and walk home if I needed to.  Well, then the weather was beautiful here.  Sunny and hot.  Saturday I didn't, but thought I would go on Sunday morning. 

Sunday morning was beautiful.  It was cool, and the sun was out.  I sat outside and listened to the birds and enjoyed my deck.  Then I had the great idea of making banana bread with some browning bananas.  Our friends from across the street, her mother died last Monday and the funeral was on Saturday.  I thought that she would be extremely drained Sunday, so I made banana muffins for them.  And then Chris woke up and wanted to get the grocery shopping done.  So we did that. Then it was too hot to run.  So I didn't. 

Yesterday, I sat at work all day thinking about how much I wanted to try running.  I decided, no matter the temperature, I would go after work.  It was supposed to be cooler than Sunday (it was) and I figured I could suck it up for a mile. 

And I did it.  I ran one mile, and it didn't bother me at all.  I stopped.  I assessed whether or not I thought I should go farther or not push my luck. I decided to keep going.  I thought that if it started to hurt I'd stop and go home.  And by the time I got to mile 2, I wasn't even thinking of my ankle and whether or not it hurt.  Because it didn't.  Not at all.  I forgot about it.  Which is exactly what I wanted.  I ended up running 3 miles, which was a pipedream when I started. 
When I got home I was a little worried my ankle would start aching.  It was a little sore after my shower but I iced it and it felt better.  I thought I'd take some ibuprofen but kept forgetting.  Plus, I kinda like not taking it until it hurts.  I like knowing if it hurts, then I know for the future.  I figured I'd be pretty sore this morning.  However, it hasn't been sore at all.  I am pretty excited about this. 

It's funny, 4 weeks ago I was always fighting in my head about not wanting to run.  Now that I have had one good run, I want to go run again.  I'm not going to run today, I have a hair appt, which is probably for the best, but I'm excited to run tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Yay to getting out there and getting a nice run in with little or no pain!!!! Woohoo!!!!

    ReplyDelete