Monday, April 13, 2015

Moving, part 2

I've been thinking of posting since last Wednesday.  I looked and realized I hadn't posted since Tuesday which I was surprised about. 

Anyway, there hasn't been a lot running wise going on.  Every week I start out the week saying I'm going to increase the number of days I'm running to 4 and then every week something happens and I only do 3 days.  Last week I was going to run on Thursday (I had already run Sunday and Tuesday) but we had to look at a house (more on that in a min) and then a thunder storm rolled in.  I will run in rain and wind, and would like to run in snow (haven't yet), but not in a thunder storm, no thank you!

So I went for a run on Saturday, instead of 3 miles, I did 4.  On Sunday I was trying to decide how many miles to run.  Last week I ran over 6.5 on accident and was okay, so I thought about doing 7 miles.  Then I was thinking, well, if I do 7 miles and then 3 on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, that's 16 miles and I'm not sure if I'm ready for that.  So I decided I should figure out what I want more, longer long runs, or more days of running.  Before plantar faciitis, I was running 5 days a week, and ideally would like to go back to that.  But I was also doing 8+ mile long runs, and I'd like to go back to that as well.  After thinking about it for awhile, I decided what I'd like to do first is get back to running more days a week.  So I only ran for 6 miles yesterday and then told myself that I HAVE to go for a run on Thursday.  No excuses this week.

Even though I'm actually increasing my days this week (and miles) I am a little worried.  I had a couple weeks with no pain in my feet, but last week after my Saturday 5 mile run and then Sunday 6.5 and Tuesday 3 miles my feet starting tingling.  I don't know how else to describe it, it's not a pain, but a tingle in my heal.  I had it before with the PF, and it wasn't horrible, but it worries me.  Maybe I'm not letting it heal by increasing days/miles.  It is very frustrating though because I've been super good since September and I'm still dealing with it.  That's 6 1/2 months . . . ugh.  I'm beginning to wonder if I'll be able to do a full marathon this fall.  Soooo frustrating.

I have been walking more, which I wonder if that is causing the tingle.  I know that when I walked a lot when the PF was at its worst, that made it feel worse than the running did.  My coworkers like to walk on lunch breaks, and while I don't go with them often, I have been doing it about once a week.  So last week I not only ran 14 miles, but also did a 2.5 mile walk with my coworkers, and our car is still in the shop, so I had to walk to the store on Friday and then walked to get my nails done on Saturday, so I probably walked and ran a total of 18 or 19 miles last week. (I don't keep track of walking mileage, so that's a guess, but I know the walk at work is 2.5 and to the store is about 0.4 miles). 
nails and coffee
You know how they say bad things happen in 3's?  Well, I already told you about our 2 cars, both dying within 4 days of each other.  The third thing, well, actually the first thing, to happen was that we were told we would have to move out of our house at the end of our lease.  They sent us a letter about 2 months ago warning us that they weren't renewing our lease.  They actually said that she had accidentally done a 7 month lease instead of a 6 month lease which is what they meant to do, so we have until the end of May, but they asked if we could try to be out by the end of April.  We've been looking, but there are not many places for rent, which surprises me because I thought that this time of year there would be more.  Maybe the summer time is when people move?  I don't know, it's not the fall and it's not the spring, as we've found out. 

Anyway, we knew it was going to happen, we just thought it was a few years down the road.  They are building (have already built 6 with 2 more going up right now) duplex townhouses behind our house.  The lot we rent, which is large, will fit another 6-8 of the duplexes.  So that is what they are going to do, tear down our fantastic old farmhouse and build crappy, cheap duplex townhouses.  (In fact, as I typed this, Damian, who is home sick, sent me a picture of them cutting down some of the big trees behind us).
Well, a good friend of ours, actually the same one that helped me with our car, told us a week ago that the people directly across the street from him are moving and he knows the owners of the house.  He told the owners about us, and we are guaranteed the house if we want it, we just had to go look at it.  Chris was given the number of the guy that lives there currently and we had to arrange a time with him to go look at it.  We went and looked at it on Thursday.  It's about the same size as our old house, which is smaller than our current house, but with the smallest kitchen imaginable.  We've been pretty spoiled on our kitchens, the one at our old house was a good size and the one at our current house is huge.  This house also doesn't have a dining room, just a little "breakfast area."  We have a large dining room table that was my Grandma's, so I'm not sure how we're going to do that.  Plus, we always host Thanksgiving and Christmas with about 5-6 other people.  It's also got a very small yard, but it has a deck and it's completely fenced in.  And there's a 3/4 bathroom in the master bedroom.

Anyway, we really like the neighborhood, it's only about 3 or 4 blocks from our old house, we know 3 families on the street we'd be living on, and 2 other families a block away. Plus, Damian can walk to school again, and it's on a quiet street (not as quiet as our current dead end street).  So I think we're moving there. 

I think the negatives are large, but with sooo many positives, I guess they outweigh the negatives.  (Can you tell I'm not completely sold on moving there?)

No comments:

Post a Comment