Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Weekend runs

We had another nice weekend in the Pacific Northwest.  I'm sorry to all those east coasters that are swimming (well, almost literally . . . can you swim in snow? I guess the question is, would you want to?) in snow.  The temperatures were cooler than they were 2 weeks ago, but still mostly sunny.

So naturally I went for a run.  I read a quote on facebook the other day that said "Every day, I stop halfway through my run for five minutes, look around, and enjoy my surroundings.  I'm reminded of why I do this and why I love it so much." -Anita Ortiz.  Now I don't stop on my runs, but sometimes I like to stop and take a picture because I love the scenery.  But I thought what a great idea to do on my long runs (not that my long runs are very long, but if they ever get to be long again).

Well, on Saturday I decided to drive to the (one) trail in Burlington (I swear there are a dozen trails, at least, in Mt. Vernon) and run for 1.75 miles and turn around (for 3.5 miles total).  I run about a mile on this trail regularly, but I'm really sick of running straight from my house.  In Mt. Vernon, maybe my neighborhood wasn't pretty, but I always started my run going up a hill.  I liked that a lot because I felt like it made me stronger (and I'm sure it did).  Well, now when I start my run, I have to run through an industrial area (flat) to get to any neighborhood that I feel safe running through, and over train tracks (of which there is only 2 roads and one is a little less than a mile and the other is more than a mile from my house).  And that whole process is about a mile long.  To get to the (one) trail in Burlington, I have to run about a mile and a quarter first.  And it's not a pretty area. . . not to mention that this (one) trail is along the highway (I used to drive through Burlington and see that trail and wish I could run it, it's not that great).

So on Saturday I drove to the trail.  I wasn't sure how long the trail was, but I thought it was several miles.  Um, it's not.  I didn't even make it to 1.75 miles before it ran out.  Luckily there was a nice side road that I turned off on and finished the 0.25 miles to get to my target.  But I was starting to enter farmland, and I thought it was pretty, so I stopped . . . and took some pictures.  =)  I'm not sure if that is what Anita Ortiz meant in her quote, but it does allow me to share it with you.
A panorama
my shadow
I wold like to run that road (not necessarily the trail) because it looked pretty.  But that will be another time when I can run farther.

On Sunday I didn't want to drive somewhere, but I was thinking about how tired I am of my running route.  (It's only been a few months, I ran my running route in Mt. Vernon for a couple years, making a few changes every so often, but basically the same.)  Anyway, I was thinking about what I used to do when I first developed my route in Mt. Vernon, I would get on mapmyrun and, well, map my run before going out.  But often, on my favorite runs I would just get lost.  I always have an idea on where I need to go to get home, or get back to an area that I'm familiar with, but I loved taking roads I never had before and just running.  It is a little easier to do this when you are going to run a longer distance (especially when you have to run a mile to get past the train tracks and then to get to any interesting area), but I knew how far I wanted to go, and I have gotten (a little) familiar with about how far things are, so I just decided to go out and run.

And I loved it.  It was probably my favorite route yet.  I ended up finding a boat ramp to the Skagit River, and it was only about 2 miles away.  I ran down to the water and (of course) took a couple pictures.

There was a trail (more like an access road) that followed the river and I'm positive it was part of the Berry Dairy Days half marathon I did in 2013.  I knew where I got off that trail for the half marathon and it was several miles past where I wanted to be, I actually wanted to turn around at about the place I got on, but really, really wanted to run the "trail."  So I followed it, thinking I'd go a little ways and turn around if I needed to.  Luckily not very far from the start there looked to be a way out, so I decided to go see, and got lucky.  I even ended up in an area that I had ran before a few weeks ago so I knew where I was and where I needed to go.  All in all, I ran 4.77 miles (I was aiming for 4.5) so I was super happy with that.  It was a fantastic run.  I definitely will be adding that route to my frequently run routes.  =)  And maybe someday I'll drive to the boat ramp and park and run along the river, although it's gravel and it is harder to run in gravel (but maybe that's a good thing).

Yesterday and today my feet haven't bothered me at all.  (knock on wood)  I'd really like to increase the number of days I run, and I'd love to go back to 5 miles daily with a long run of 8 or more.  But I have to take it slow.  I don't want to continue this terrible thing with my feet.  Last week was only the second week of having increased my mileage on my 3 runs a week.  Maybe the next time I increase in a couple weeks, I'll do it by adding a day of only 2 miles, or maybe I'll increase to daily (2 times) 4 miles and a long run of 5 miles.  Here's hoping.

Another thing I've decided to do is update my weight regularly.  I tend to only update it when I lose weight, not when I gain.  But I don't think I need to do weekly "official" weigh ins.  My weight doesn't change that much from week to week.  So, I think I'll go to monthly weigh ins ("official" weigh ins, I still weigh myself daily).  I started March 1st, I was 146.  (Yay!)  So I'll update again on April 1st and see where I am.

1 comment:

  1. Seeing the world and exploring (and yeah, I dont' stop unless a picture needs to be taken...and I've been known to take those on the fly) is part of the attraction to running. That said....I'm SOOO jealous that you are able to get out and run. I have a 10K that I am woefully unprepared for fast approaching (I'm struggling to run two miles at this point....and it's snowing like every other day so I can't get out and run!

    ReplyDelete