Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Commitment levels

 Look what I finally got!  :-)  I'm super happy and excited about the medal.  =)

A coworker . . . okay, my supervisor . . . started running this fall.  She decided to do the couch to 5k program with her goal race being the Nookachamps run I did with her in January.  Anyway, while she was training over November and December, she told me that she wasn't sure she liked running, or would keep doing it, but she was going to do the Nookachamps no matter what.  Well, in January she said that her and her daughter decided to do a race once a month for the entire year . . . and they have, so far.  She came to my office yesterday to tell me she's thinking about doing a half marathon this fall.  I'm super happy for her, but it got me to thinking about myself. 

What am I doing this year that is different than last year? 

Well, number one, I actually ran the Tulip run this year.  2 years ago I walked with my sister.  And then last year my sister and I chickened out because we didn't want to walk in the pouring rain.  And not only did I run this year, but I got first for my age group, as evidenced by the picture above.  =)

Number two, I finally committed to, and signed up for Bloomsday.  Remember last year when I walked it with my sister?  I told myself I would run it this year, but then as the time got closer I got more scared.  I asked my sister to travel with me, but she didn't want to go all that way if she wasn't going to walk it again.  She asked our cousin's son if he wanted to walk it with her, and he said yes, but then she decided that she couldn't do it (obligations to her husband and all that lame stuff) so she backed out.  Well, then I wasn't sure I really wanted to do it after all.  Then last week I was running and thinking about it and decided that I would regret it if I didn't do it.  So I signed up.  I am still super scared about the 3/4ths of a mile uphill part at mile 4 (with a 6.5% incline), but I guess if I have to walk that part, or part of it, then I will, but I will have run the race.  I won't know until I try.

So what else?  Nothing really.  Last year at this time, I had already run 86.46 miles, this year, I'm at 66.2 miles.  I haven't committed to any half marathons, or even decided if I want to do them.  And if I do, do I do the same ones I did last year?  I liked both of the ones I did.  I have thought about, but not committed to doing a full marathon.  I'm scared to death of doing a full marathon.  26.2 miles is a long freaking way.  I didn't even watch the Boston Marathon this year, and I totally meant to at least turn it on the TV during my lunch yesterday. 

I guess I do have a number 3.  I finally broke the 150lb barrier and got down to 145.  But I keep getting lazy with my eating and doing a lot of fluctuating this last week between 150 and 147.  (Yesterday I was back to 150 . . . bad food choices over the weekend, although I did run 8 miles . . . Today I didn't even weigh myself, I know I'm still up, my size 8 pants that were loose a week ago are a little snug today.)

So what is my commitment level?  Do I want to challenge myself, or just keep coasting like I have?  Coasting is easy.  It's comfortable and I don't have to worry about anything.  I know I can run 8 miles, I just did on Sunday.  But I haven't consistently hit 25 miles per week even though that is an unofficial goal (a stepping stone goal to hit 100 miles a month). 

So I just spent some time browsing races and I'm pretty sure I've decided to do the Berry Dairy Days half marathon again this year.  (That was my first one last year.)  I may do the Skagit Flats half marathon again, but I am undecided about that one.  However, I was looking at marathons, and I'd like to do one that is bigger than the Skagit Flats.  So I looked at the Seattle Marathon, holy hills, Batman . . . uh no.  So I looked at the Spokane Marathon, and still kinda hilly.  Sooooo . . .I looked at the Tri-Cities (Kennewick, Richland, Pasco) Marathon and it advertises itself as flat, and it's in October (lots of time to train).  So, that may be the one for me.  Now if I can just get past this stinking fear of running 26.2 miles all at once (I can't even manage that distance in a week).

I am about 60-70% decided.  That actually may be a bit higher percentage than it actually is. Maybe 40-50%.  I think it would be easier if I had a running partner to train with. 

And then there's Maddox this morning.  He didn't want to put his shirt on, so he left it like this.  =)  I love the pose he did right before I took the picture.  =)


1 comment:

  1. Sometimes coasting is good....an coasting can be quite victoious...in your case I think it is. Why? Because you are maintaining your weight and you are maintaining your running fitness levels!

    Can't wait to see how you do in your future runs/races!

    ReplyDelete