Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Nookachamps 5K

I am so annoyed.  I spent quite a bit of time typing up a race report on the Nookachamps 5k I did this weekend and then I tried to upload some pictures and they wouldn't upload and then the screen froze.  I finally closed the tab because it usually saves automatically and it didn't.  I was done.  I had written the whole damn thing, and it's gone.  Pisses me off!  Anyway . . .

This weekend was the Nookachamps 5K run.  I agreed to do this run "with" a coworker of mine (let's call her E) months ago.  She is trying to lose weight and started running at the beginning of last fall.  She did the couch to 5k program with her goal race being this particular one.  She told me that she was going to do it because she knows I run and when she told me I told her I would do it with her.  There are a couple other runners in my office, and when they found out, they also agreed to do it with her (F and A). 

I forgot about it and then a couple weeks ago E Facebook msged me saying she had signed up for it.  I debated about doing the 10k, but the day I registered (the last day of the cheaper fee {I know I procrastinate all my race registrations to the last cheap day}) I looked up the weather report and it said it was supposed to be windy and rainy.  I decided to just do the 5k, cause, as we all know, I HATE the wind. 

Anyway, the day of the race I looked up the weather again and it said there was an average of 16 mph winds with gusts of 60 mph!  That's crazy!  But I went anyway, because, after all, I had paid for it, and was meeting people. 

I got there and met up with my 2 of my coworkers (we didn't see A before the race at all).  E and I got separated from F at the starting line, but that was okay.  I started out with E but left her pretty quickly.  I debated about doing the whole thing with her, but she said to go ahead.  I caught up with F in the one mile range and talked to her for a min but she said to go on as well, so I went ahead.  I wasn't aiming for a PR, I'm pretty happy with my current one (24:11 at the Run for Your Mum 5K) and I knew this was going to be a windy run with some hills (the RfYM was flat on a really nice day). 

The biggest problem I had was that anytime I was running downhill I was running into the (strong) wind (don't think I ever hit 60mph gusts though) and then as soon as I'd turn to run with the wind behind me, I was running uphill.  I couldn't catch my breath.  However, at the last mile we turned onto a trail that went through a wooded area (a very well maintained trail) and went downhill, so that was nice, the trees blocked most of the wind and downhill is always good.  =)

I finished at 27:08 and got a finisher's ribbon.  I was excited for the ribbon because I've never gotten one of those before.  I went to my car to get my jacket because it had started to rain and then went to meet E on the trail before the finish line.  I was going to try to get to the beginning of the trail, but I was worried I'd miss her.  I took some pictures of her and her daughter and then walked/jogged the rest of the way with them.  When we got close to the finish line I ran ahead and took some pictures of them crossing the finish line.

As we were finishing (me for the second time) A finally showed up.  She had thought the race started at 11am (it started at 10am), so she had missed the whole thing.  We went to the gym to warm up and eat oranges and bananas (is there anything better after a workout than oranges??).  We were standing there talking (we didn't see F after the race, she went home right away) when a guy got up and said he was going to announce the winners of the 5k.  E said she thought I would get an award, and I said I didn't think so.  I had thought I might at the Run for Your Mum 5k, but I didn't, so I didn't expect anything this time either, after all I was over 3 min slower.  However, the guy called my name for 3rd place for my age group.  I was super excited (probably ridiculously so).  I got a ribbon for that too.  =)
(Go Seahawks!)
 
I had some good pictures with my coworkers, but I didn't want to show them online.  They might not like that, although they don't know about my blog, but still, it's nice to be respectful of other's privacy.  =)
 
More good news, I remembered to weigh myself today and I'm back down to 150.4.  Yay!!

1 comment:

  1. Hip hip hurray for the weigh in! But congrats on placing! That makes the race special!

    ReplyDelete